Short intense attacks after Hurrican

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey. I've had Menieres for several years. July 2017 I had a shunt put in. I take Meclizine 3 times a day. I was fine during the hurricane we just had. In the past 4 days, I've had 3 intense but very short vertigo spells. Has anyone else been through a really stressful time, and had problems after that time? Please only post if you have been diagnosed with Menieres and had something like this happen to you.

Thanks!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Kate, Ive menieres, have single sided hearing loss and am on betahistine 3 x day.  I lost both my parents this year, after long illnesses, 1 vascular dementia & 1 breast cancer.  I mention this, as the journey with both my parents has been long, but, for some inexplicable reason I appear to be having stress related vertigo attacks now, and this hasnt happened before.  My previous experience, has been random one offs, short episodes, usually at very long intervals of several minths etc.

My ‘episodes’ started this week. Had a severe vertigo attack, ( room spinning, bucket clutching!) on monday that lasted about 3 hours.  Ive never had one that lasted that long before.  On tuesday, had a couple of hours of balance issues. Could stand up, but had to use the wall to walk round the house. Have then had exactly the same balance episodes, every day this week.

I saw my ENT consultant yesterday, who really couldnt do a great deal about it. Ive upped my betahistine dose, and we can only wait and see if that helps.  We discussed stress, but I dont want to go down the route of anti-anxiety meds etc. I had a period a few years ago on Citalopram, and it just didnt suit me, and I think I found physical exercise far more effective.  So currently, Im taking the ‘keep a diary’ approach, watch my salt intake, and today Ill force myself out for a long walk.  I must confess, since losing my parents, Ive been a bit of a couch potato, I dont think Im depressed, but do think Ive got a bit insular, and certainly, curling up on the couch is my current favourite pastime!  I can see its not a great health choice!    

I have no explanation as to why now, this week, I appear to have a stress prompted flare up.  Its odd with all thats gone on these last few years, and whilst its nothing like what you must have experienced with the hurricane (glad youre safe, has it passed now?) I just wanted to pop by and share where I am too and keep you posted if things improve quickly.

Oh Im also going to stuff myself with multi vitamins (if I can get to a shop) as in the past, Ive found possibly (who knows ?!) taking multi vits may have helped.   Its so frustrating not having a magic pill to go to.  Hope youre day is better today, and just sending good wishes. Its a bugger! smile   Chris.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.