Short of breath? What is wrong with me???

Posted , 1 user is following.

Okay, since last Thursday, I've felt a little off. Best way I can describe, sometimes my heart starts to beat a little faster, and it happens more so during the day, as I go to bed my hear rate drops down again, but sometimes I will wake up or jolt awake, which I've done for a long time. So I've just been feeling a little more like my chest is narrower, and even my jaw feels like it tightens or becomes stiff/tense when this happens. I went to my doctor yesterday about the upper part of the left side of my back. It's been aching, and sore, feels tight and clicky. He examined it, he also used the stethoscope to examine my back and front, he said my chest sounded fine. He asked if I had asthma, I don't but my mum does.

Anyway, to give you more information, I'm 30 yr old female, Hypothyroid (Eltroxin 50mg), average size, average height, don't drink, never smoked. Fairly good diet, but am inactive most of the day, only walking the dogs is my only exercise daily.

About 5 weeks ago, I had a really bad bacterial infection which my doctor did blood tests and seen it was through the roof, my heart rate was up and everything so I was on high dose of antibiotics for a week. I also had the flu as well. Anyway, before that I also had a viral infection that left me with a rash all over my body.

My heart rate at the moment doesn't go any higher than about 96 bpm at it's very highest, but usually between 84-90. When I'm resting at night, it goes down to 72-78, sometimes 66. 

I know my doctor listened to my chest yesterday, and said it sounded fine. I'm just scared what if it's something serious? PE? Heart Function Problem? Lungs? Fluid on my lungs?Pneumonia? Really feel distressed by it. Then I get worried their is some kind of infection in my body, or something deadly. I just feel this catching in my chest every so often that catches my breath, not harshly, just a little enough for me to notice. Also, at the back of my nose, it always feels congested, or bunged up, and I'm still getting up a little bit of mucus/phlegm. Not as much now but sometimes, I had a lot of phlegm when I had the bacterial infection 5/6 weeks ago. It just feels like my nose is always a little blocked or bunged up, and I can feel it at the back of my throat. I don't know, it all is getting me very distressed.

I thought it was the muscles in my back maybe, with them being sore and tender and aching a lot, that that was the sensation I was feeling but I don't think so. I also thought it might have been Bronchitis as I had the flu and bacterial infection 5/6 weeks ago. I don't know.

I took some Otrivine nasal spray today to help my nose, which has helped breath through my nose, but my chest still feels those sensations.

Now, I had an ECG done in December, then another one done at the end of January/beginning of February. It was only this Monday I seen my doctor, who listened to my heart and said my chest sounded fine, he said the little whistling sound could just be irritation in my chest from the infection I had 5/6 weeks ago. 

I'm sorry, I've been crying all afternoon, feeling so upset and distressed, tired and scared. I made another appointment for Tuesday as the doctors is shut Good Friday and Easter Monday, so feel a bit panicky, but their is an emergency doctor around the corner for anything. My brain is clogged with thoughts right now.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

My mum has asthma, and developed it in her 30's, could it be asthma? I had that bad bacterial infection 5/6 weeks ago?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.