Short or tall boot for ankle sprain?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I sprained my ankle about a week ago, and at first was given an ACE wrap and stirrup aircast, but that wasn't doing the trick, so I got a script for a walking boot.

The doctor didn't specify tall or short, so the medical supply place gave me a short one. It's not that short -- mid shin, probably about 3 inches shorter than a "tall" one, but I'm wondering if I should have a tall one. I just ordered one off Amazon so that I can see the difference between the two and then of course, if I need the tall one I'll have it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

For a sprained ankle I wouldn't think so.  But that's my opinion.  I have a taller air boot but I'm dealing with a broken fibula and tendon damage.  Ron
  • Posted

Doesn't hurt to try both sizes, but I would think the shorter might be more comfy for you. Hope you feel better soon. Sprained ankles are a pain for sure!
  • Posted

The taller one makes the ankle more immobile, less lower leg muscles working.  The shorter one is easier to walk in, easier to put on, less immobilization.  Because you don't have a fracture, I agree with Ron go with the short one.  
  • Posted

Thanks for the input guys smile If worst comes to worse, I'll return the one I ordered on Amazon. It'll be here on Tuesday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.