short term memory

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone have any tips for help in remembering things re short term memory? I would be so grateful for any ideas.

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have observed my wife struggling with short term memory. 1. was about nine months ago and 5 about one month ago.

1. she frequently recited aloud the list of tasks

2. she made lists of tasks on quarter strips of paper

3. sets out the ingredients for meals hours in advance (I think she gives herself time for multiple checks). 

4. she reherses aloud her diary appointments for the next several days

5. asks me to check her shopping list

With my best wishes

• Posted

I have a chalk board hung where I can't miss it. (Heart shaped actually) If I have to remember something it goes on the board. When my wife goes out she writes where she's gone. give it a go, it's a very cheap answer. Good Luck!
    • Posted

What a great idea! Also, you could always carry a mobile phone when you go out, Or stay in, come to that. And your wife too. Then if you are not sure where the other is, just send a text message, on most networks they are only about 10 pence. 
  • Posted

firstly you prepare note for daily schedule and than keep it with yourself evertime so that you can remember what you have to do and also consult with expert.
  • Posted

I keep a written diary on paper, I write down what I need to do each day, who I meet where I went, and what I have to over the week. I look at it each day to see if I've done all things I wrote down. I carry the diary around with me too.and write down things that happen that day.

• Posted

You are very welcome! I hope you are not really, actually LOST IN FRANCE? If you are, say 'Ou est Le Metro, mon ami? Je suis lost in La Belle France!!!! Can you dirrect me, to the nearest Gendarme? Merci Boucoup!! Vive La France!!!!' Then head for Calais, and get on the ferry, And find your way home as soon as possible!!!! Write the whole episode down in your diaryhen u get home!!!Neville xxxx

• Posted

I actually live in France, in the south west. We have lived here for ten years and I love it here; the only downside is the fact my son and his wife (who had said she didn't want children) have now given us three grandchildren! Still, I see them when I visit the UK. smile

• Posted

Aha!! I have been to France. When I was a kid, my family and I lived in Gibraltar (about 1969). My Dad ( passed away two years ago) worked for the Metereological Office, we were posted there for three years. We flew there from RAF Lyneham. But my Mum who now has Alzheimer's, was scared to fly. So we drove home to England through Spain and France. We stayed in a cheap hotel in Paris. , See, I remember all that time ago, but I can't remember what I did an hour ago. That's the thing with short term memory loss.   I am glad I found this board. Stay safe, best wishes

• Posted

Gosh, you are lucky your long term memory is still ok, mine has started to let me down now, and cherished memories are disappearing too when I try to recall them. I wish I'd written things down!

• Posted

The chalkboard and daily schedule diary are great ideas. I’ve heard that stem cell treatments are great for improving cognitive symptoms and quality of life for Alzheimer’s. Stem Cell of America is a great clinic to check out if you’re interesting in this kind of treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.