Short term memory loss?! 50mg for 9 weeks so far...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've now been on sertraline 50mg a day for about 9 weeks - at first had the common side effects of nausea headaches jitters disturbed sleep and increased anxiety etc. After several weeks these seemed to wear off and I feel a lot better thankfully!

However in the last week or two I've noticed a change for the worse in my short term memory and seem to be very easily forgetting things or having complete blanks in my memory at work etc which can be quite embarassing! Has anyone else experienced this at all?! Any advice would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hey Lauren, I haven't experienced this on Sertraline yet, but often forget words, what I went into rooms for and even what I'm about to say!! I'm 46 and put this down to perimenopause.

But anxiety also has a similar affect as my brain isn't focused on here and now.

• Edited

Hi Louise,

Thanks for your reply - yeah I have the same problem just a complete blank in what I'm about to do or say and I have to really concentrate to remember it.

Possibly a combination of being very busy/stressed at work and the medication! Hopefully not something that will be long term as I'm only 26.

Thankyou x

• Posted

Being stressed and busy will definitely have that effect, your brain can only process so much. Try and find a better balance if you can. Do you meditate?

• Edited

I have inattentive ADHD and my symptoms have become very marked on Sertraline. I'm on 200 mg. It's to do with the dopamine/serotonin ratio, I think. However, my mood is much better so I'm trying to work around the memory problems.

• Posted

Hi Avril,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I completely agree, my mood and overall anxiety levels have improved loads so I'm hoping the memory issue isn't long term! I guess it's one of those things we have to accept and work through like you said.

Feels reassuring to chat to others who experience similar things.

Thank you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.