Short-term Prednisone Side Effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey, guys. So for the last couple weeks, I've been breaking out in hives. I finally went to see an allergist and got prescribed Allegra, Zyrtec, Hydroxyzine, and 20 mg of Prednisone for 7 days. I was instructed by my allergist to take two Prednisones for the first few days, but I decided against it because the side effects from the pills are intense (i took them a while back for a sinus infection). The first dose was pretty rough, but I managed. The problem came in the middle of the night when both of my legs started to hurt like crazy. It was a pain that radiated through my legs. It felt as though both of them were trying to cramp up, but it just wouldn't happen. I called my allergist today and her know how these steriods have been beating my ass. She said that if it became too much to bare, stop taking them. But I said I would try one more time. I took my second dose in the morning with a banana and it wasn't as bad. The real test will be when I try to sleep tonight with my legs. Before you ask, I have gotten blood work prior and haven't gotten any results yet. I just want to know if anyone had the leg pain while taking a short term dose of Prednisone.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

15 mg Pred relieved all my inflamatory pain from Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR). I take it long term until PMR is in remission and once on that you have to gradually get off it. 20 mgs is an awfully lot. Never heard of taking it for hives. And never heard of combining with all those other drugs.

• Posted

Steroids are used for about 200 different problems including hives. Polymyalgia Rheumatica usually starts on quite a low dose.

• Posted

I'm glad to hear that pred is recommended for hives. 20 mgs seems a lot though. I had hives one night after taking Rantidine which is/was also a remedy for hives according to my doctor.

• Posted

I was also on 10 mgs of pred when the hives occurred, The hives went away after ceasing that one Rantidine pill.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.