Short term prednisone use. Withdrawl??

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am on 20mg of prednisone for five days. First time ever on it.  Last day is today.  Helped alot but am I going to have withdrawl from such a short time? Only side effects were hot and sweaty.

?Need to be prepaired. They are working on getting me an injection this week to aleviate neck pain from pinched nerve. Hope you all have a good day.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It shouldn't be a problem as you haven't been on it long enough for your adrenal gland function to have been affected. You might feel "different" for a day or so because of stopping it but not really withdrawal.

• Posted

Thanks. The Dr gave me another prescription in case I need them in a week with a reduction but I hate to chance withdrawal. It scares me reading the problems people have.
    • Posted

It really is in people who have been on pred for weeks and weeks or months - or like me, years! Short-term use like yours is is much simpler.
    • Posted

Thank you for easing my mind. Hope you have a pain free day.
  • Posted

Hi. I'm asthmatic and have had to have quite a few 5 day courses of steroids and have never suffered withdrawals.

Of the course of steroids is long enough that there is a risk of withdrawal the disagree would lowered slowly over time. But like I said I've never suffered withdrawal from a five day course before.

• Posted

Should also say that my dosage has also always been higher with no withdrawals.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.