Shortly to have radioactive iodine for hyperthyroid problem

Posted , 6 users are following.

I believe we're told to keep our distance from our partner, pregnant women and young children for about 7 days after treatment. I have no problem doing that - happy to play my part and be isolated for that short time.

However, radioactivate iodine treatment is therefore clearly bad for other people, but is a necessary evil for me! Just seems odd that I'm told it will not have any detrimental effect on me, but I'm to steer clear of inflicting on other folk.

Be interested in your thoughts...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had to have this treatment I had a special bottle and had to put 3 drops in my drink three times a day for 7 days (tasted foul) and if I remember it's because your thyroid absorbs the liquid iodine hence sort of killing it and I think that's why it's bad for other people as it can effect their other wise normal thyroid function, the treatment didn't work for me as I still had to have thyroid removed.

• Posted

I guess I am wondering why you decided to have Radioactive Iodine treatment. Was it because your doctor pushed for it?

For myself, I found a way to keep my thyroid and normalize my thyroid levels and I am so glad I did.

• Posted

not sure if that question is for me but my thyroid was making me really ill, it got to the point where it needed to be removed but before they remove it you need to be stable but I my levels never were and consultant thinks this was from having it undiagnosed for years so last results was to try and destroy it with the radioactive iodine but even that didn't work completely for me and my graves disease wasn't stable. although my symptoms are less now they still haven gone completely.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies.

It was entirely my choice to go for the radioactive iodine treatment; I wasn't pressured by the consultant at all. I would not be happy about having surgery.

I am hoping that they will let me take the medication away with me so I can take it at home. It is nigh on impossible to park at the hospital, plus the traffic on the journey is horrendous. Public transportation is very crowded, so I'd end up sitting very close to a lot of other passengers for a couple of hours or so.

• Posted

Hi Roger, it does have a detrimental effect on you. That is why you were probably instructed not to procreate for at least 6 months. Radiation affects fast dividing cell groups the most, that is why children and pregnant women are more vulnerable.

However, your doctors have determined that the benefits outweigh the risks and side effects.

All the best.

• Posted

Thanks. All your replies have been very helpful to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.