Shortness of breath

Posted , 17 users are following.

All,

I've felt quite short of breath since being on the prednisone.  I have always been a "fit" person and it worried me.  I read that prednisone can cause shortness of breath, palpitations, slow or fast heartbeats, etc.

What's the consensus:  are these symptoms danger signs -- signs that the patient ought to stop taking the pred, or are these merely things we'll have to deal with?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Bob

I'm getting all that and it's been 4 weeks since I stopped a 3 day dose of 70mg now I'm wondering how long does this thing finally take to eventually get out of your system that is once you stop taking this drug.  Can someone tell us?

• Posted

Pred is out of your body within a very short time - if all you had was 3 days a month ago then it was gone long ago. 

The people on this forum have a chronic condition that means we need pred on an on-going basis for years usually so are in a very different position to someone like who needed it for an infection I assume? 

If you still have breathlessness now I think you need to check with your doctor unless there is another reason that might account for it.

• Posted

I had considerable shortness of breath on the higher doses of Prednisone.  Now that I am down to 4 mg, it is much, much better. My symptoms also included palpitations, severe leg cramps, sweating, hunger, loss of sleep, etc.  All have disappeared except for the weight gain.  Even low carb isn't doing the trick.  Oh well.

• Posted

I have been on prenisone for 30 days (15 mg)  On day 26 I got a shortness of breath after going up the stairs.  It only lasted a short time and went away.  I am very active doing all kinds of yard work,  do one mile on tread mill 3 times a week and never have any shortness of breath.  It goes way after a little while and some days it does not happen.  I also get just a little light head feeling at the same time.  That also goes a way at the same time.  I ask the question as you do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.