Shortness of breath

Posted , 8 users are following.

Anyone had shortness of breath getting worse ?? I'm 12 weeks in and it's I'm still getting it quite bad. I can run with no pain but it's the shortness of breath that is stopping me do anything. I'm sure the anxiety isn't helping. I spoke to my doctor he is giving me a ct scan and checking my lung function l.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi james,

If you have been diagnosed as having pulmonary embolism shortness of breath can last for ages, I asked my  GP about the breathlesness as it' gets bad just showering, he said it can take 6 months + for  the breathlesness to go, I'm new to this P E myself so I hope this has helped you a bit. Take care

• Posted

Ok thank you. Just seems to be getting worse not better. I've got a pe in both lungs.

Take care

• Posted

Hi James,

Short answer is yes.  During my recovery my breathing capability has varied considerably. I am sure outside factors have an influence too, but I have no doubt some was down to the pe's scarring or whatnot.  I found recovery a bit stop/start, with improvements happening suddenly and quite long periods on 'no change' inbetween. I also found recovery period quite long.

hth. Pete

• Posted

Cheers thank you for the reply. Yah recovery for me has been all over the place guess some times this happens.
  • Posted

I don't think you're ready for running.  You still have clots taking up air space in your lungs. I had a leg DVT a few years ago and it took a couple of months for the clot to dissolve.  I've read in other posts that the doctor said it can take even longer for pes to dissolve.  Be patient. :-) 

• Posted

Ok thank you. I do hear people running after 2 weeks of having a clot. I started running a week after for 2 weeks then I started to get a tight chest. It wasn't intense just jogging for 20-30 mins.

• Posted

I would worry about the pressure of exercise causing the clots to move or break loose.  Maybe not, I'm not a doctor.  Be careful.  I came home from the hospital and did some vigorous vacuuming.  I was laid up for two days. lol

• Posted

Hi James. I agree with all the replys. 9 months into recovery and I still get bad days. I would definatlly not attempt running even now. Mind I am 65 and had trouble running for the bus anyway. lol😁 But seriously take each day at a time. Gentle exercise to start with each day. So you don't get stiff. But your body will tell you when to stop so listen to it. I still get beathless walking up hill. Good luck and be patient.x

• Posted

I think anxiety is a big part of my breathing problem. When I was in the hospital with my two PEs they put me on Xanax right away and I found out that they do most patients with pulmonary embolisms. these are so scary and so life threatening that they would make anyone anxious. For the first time in my life I am on Zanex and an antidepressant. Stay tired a lot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.