Shortness of breath

Posted , 4 users are following.

Wow,  I found this forum and started reading about the same symptoms that I have had. Everything just started this past week when I woke up and couldn’t seem to catch my breath.   I could not go back to sleep. It’s very scary. After a couple of days I went to the doctors. They did an EKG, PFT, and I’m getting an echocardiogram this week. I did have pneumonia in December and I thought maybe it was relapsing, but a follow-up chest x-ray showed that my lungs are fine. My friends are telling me it might be anxiety but I’ve never really had anxiety unless something significant was happening in my life. My doctor thinks I might have sleep apnea and I tried to deny it but now I’m thinking maybe it’s true because my sleep is being affected. Has anyone had a sleep study?  I try to do things that help me relax but as soon as I think about it I can’t catch my breath and it takes me about five times until I can. And then I start to panic.  My doctor did say if everything came back normal then they might give me something for anxiety to use as needed. I’m just at my wits end because it’s very upsetting to not know why it’s happening.   I try to do things to take my mind off of it. But who wants to walk around exhausted from not sleeping? I need answers and I just wanna breathe normally again like a normal person. I’m glad to see that people can relate here.  

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Lisamaria, you just came knocking at my door. May i ask how old you are? im guessing maybe your 20s?  well, im 67 and i have been there.  Anxiety affects people differently. My daughter and I were in the dr. ofc and she said, "would you breath?" and i said, l"what do you mean?"  she said, " you take a breath and then you quit breathing."  Well, i had no idea i was doing this.  Sure enough, I really had anexity and I hadnt even had my first panic attack yet.  Now, those can be scary or not so scary. Some people just have to leave wherever they are. I get where i feel i just cant get a breath in and after half hr or so ive calmed down and can breathe right............#sleep studiy.  Yes, i complained about not sleeping; only sleeply 2 or 3 hrs a night and i was exhausted.  they tried sleeping medicine like lunesta and all those but they didnt help at alll.  so sleep study. WELL, the study told the dr. that i quit breathing 17 times every hour.  i couldnt believe it but there it was.  so now i use a cpap and when i first started, i slept like a baby.  ...From your letter, you do sound anxious but im not the one to confirm that but hang in there.  Theres a lot of thing worse than anxiety.  Keep doing those things to help you relax.. the mind pays attention to repeition.  Good luck, sweetie. it will be alright.

• Posted

Thank you for responding, Terrie. No, I am 55.  I went for a check up not even a month ago, and I told the doctor about my trouble sleeping and he immediately asked me if I snored.  He almost insisted that I have sleep apnea and I told him I thought he was crazy.  Now all of a sudden I am thinking he’s not so crazy. I would love to get a good night’s sleep. Can’t remember the last time I could say that was true.  I am going to schedule it as soon as possible because I need some answers. Now it’s affecting my life. I feel like the anxiety comes from when I can’t catch my breath.   I try to relax and nothing seems to work.  And now I dread when I have to go to sleep because I’m afraid that the same thing is going to happen. It’s horrible. 
    • Posted

hi lisamaria,  well, gee, your typing looked sooo young. lol....i started the anxiety in my thirties. i would just tremblel for no reason. well, the reason ending up being overwhelmed and i didnt realize it; worked 40 hrs a wk. raised 3 children by myselfl;; on an on.  so they started me on one of the lowest medicines is buspar 10m twice a day.  im speaking for me...it does not alter your mind, you are just a smidgen calmer and that may be all it takes.  later on, i started the panic attacks,  ... when you think you cant breath, try to calm down and breath through your nose and out your mouth; you dont want to hyperventilate.  now, if you do AND  i never have, pass out, you WILL start breathing again,,,i promise. ha ha i know its scary.  Yes, i havent slept well in 10 yrs. the reason i dont use the cpap rright now is b/c i have copd from smoking and i was having a flare up where its hard to breathe and i woke up the next morning and it felt like my lungs were over-inflated and it scared me.  but ill get back to it. i couldnt wait to go to bed at night it was pleasant. the dr. has them set the machine at a certain whatever., pressure, i guess. the only thing frustrating is getting a good seal on the mask.  you can have it cool or heated, its neat. my husband told me i snored and didnt believe him but sure enough........ so dont be afraid and you might want to get some self help books on anxiety; they give you ways to be calm like yoga...i never could do it; i couldnt sit still. lol...but other things, like sayings, etc. just thought id make you aware that there are books like that out there. well, im glad u wrote back. and i wish you luck. terrie.
    • Posted

Thanks for thinking I was young. Lol. Oh I love yoga. I try to practice my yoga breathing when it happens. Nothing works at times. Well when I went back to the doctors this past week my doctor wasn’t there and I’m sure if he was he would’ve said it was the sleep apnea. I saw a different doctor and she said they would give me something for anxiety if my echo is normal.   My blood pressure is fine and I have never smoked and I’m pretty sure there’s nothing wrong with my heart. LOL But I definitely want to get the sleep study because I don’t even look forward to sleeping anymore.  But that doesn’t explain the way I feel during the day with not being able to catch my breath at times. I have a lot going on in my life. I also read that menopause can cause sleep apnea. I appreciate the time you took to write to me. I hope you have since stopped smoking!!
    • Posted

oh yes, i quit smoking the day i found out about the copd. its been 5 yrs and i had smoked for 30 and i loved every cigarette i every smoked. but i put them down and have not picked one up since.  sometimes, i even dream about them. its awful. i can almost image what addicts go through.  but if they give you something for anxiety, that will help you sleep also.  have you tried melatonin? its w/the vitamins otc. i tried before and it didnt help but ive tried again and i take 3 before i go to bed and it is actually knocking me out this time.  now, i dont stay out. im lucky to be retired because now, when i wake up, i get up, get on the computer for a little, then sleep a bit more. etc.  then when 3:20 comes my body wakes me and i just get up for good. feed the cats, do whatever unitl morning joe comes on at 6am. im so into politics, you cant drag me away from the tv.   sounds like you are in pretty good shape but be careful, anxiety & depression (which i had) can really wreck you physically also. well, i shall leave you be; its been nice talking to you. youre more than welcome to let me know what happens if you like.

• Posted

I figured you quit smoking.  That's great. I had a horrible night!  I almost went to the ER.  But I kept thinking that I could not call out of work today....so I slept maybe an hour and a half.  Yes, I have melatonin.  I even took 10 mg last night...did NOTHING....the thing is is that I want to sleep sooo bad but I can't relax and then I can't catch my breath. I am going to call to see my doctor today.  I can't go through another night like last night!  I feel like I am going out of my mind.  I feel so off today...maybe got about 6 hours of sleep in the last two nights.  Anyway, I am sorry to be a downer.  I will definitely let you know what happens.  P.S.  I love cats!  Don't ask me how many I have...lol

• Posted

Hello lisa.. well all our different reason are linked to the same outcome.. shortness of breath.. i know mine.. i started smoking.. never before.. as soon i started.. the day after i started to experience that.. went to the hospital.. they gave tablets.. in like 3 weeks or less it was gone.. and i was really addicted.. n i tried smoking again..it started again..its not dangerous it will last for like 3 weeks and less youll be okay ^^"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.