Shortness of breath

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been having shortness of breath for 4 months now. I feel the need to take a deep breath once in a while but this does not always work. When this doesn't work I make myself burp and then try to take another deep breath.The overall feeling is uncomfortable. I am not overweight and I have been checked by doctors with nothing abnormal found. I usually sleep normally. I have been told that this is anxiety and prescribed ativan. The condition is not going away. Please help me with any suggestions.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, I just wanted to add that my breathing test showed that I exhale with normal volume but slower time than normal. Also burping suggests that some of the air which I breathe in goes to my esophagus instead of my lungs. Could it be that my trachea or my lungs are swollen? Could this be allergy or asthma? Asthma inhalers (albuterol or steroids) don't seem to help me and I don't have wheezing...

• Posted

Edit: I am a 31 year old female. I also tried breathing exercises, pranayama, yoga, Buteyko breathing, Strelnikova breathing, and Bowen therapy and naturopathic herbal medicine and going to try Ayurvedic medicine. Any thoughts about these or suggestions to try more things?

• Posted

Have you contacted your GP? This is the first step to rule out any common illness you may have.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your comment! I have seen a GP, a gastroenterologist, a pulmonologist, an ENT doctor, and an asthma and allergy doctor, and they did not seem to find any common illnesses. They said that this might be asthma but the inhaler does not seem to help. Also some said that I am swallowing air.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.