Shortness of Breath and Heart palpitations.

Posted , 5 users are following.

It started when I was on my way to school and suddenly my heart started racing and it was fluttering. While it was doing that I was feeling for a few moments like a punch in my chest that would take away my breath and I would have to grasp for air. It is hard to explain bit instead of my hear beating once, the little pause and then the other beat it was like double.

Normal beat: - - - - - - - -

What I felt: -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Now I'm trying to lie down and sleep but I can't because when I do that I get that punch that takes away my breath. It is definitely not anxiety because it only happens when I lie flat.

I've had an echocardiogram like 5 months ago and also like 3EKG's in the last 4 monts.

BTW my age is 16.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Havnt you got concerned parents that maybe should be calling an ambulance? I had Ventricular Tachycardia and was always being told off for not ringing an ambulance sooner. I bought myself a little ECG machine so I can see its something wrong with my heart when I got the symptoms.
  • Posted

Hello Ruben,

I recently commented on another person of your general age group who was experiencing similar symptoms.  Do you drink energy drinks?  Monster, 5-hour Energy, NOS, among others?  These drinks contain stimulants that not only increase heart rate but can cause palpitations, irregular heart beat, and in severe cases, death. There have been many cases of people dying from drinking too many of these drinks.   If you do drink these drinks I would suggest stopping immediately, and your symptoms should disappear.  If you're not drinking them or taking any other kind stimulant, and have been to doctors already, seek out another doctor.  It is not uncommon to be misdiagnosed, or for them to fail to pin down the source of a problem.  Good luck.

• Posted

You said that you have had an Echo and a few EKG's... has the doctor discussed any rest results or made suggestions? Have the consider a stress test or anything More?

I grew up as a heart patient. Often the most frightening thing about pain like you are describing is the fear of the pain. Keep speaking with people, take deep breaths or slow breaths when you can, and I hope you find answers soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.