Shortness of breath - can't take deep breath

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

Just want to know if finding it hard to take a deep enough breath, pretty much constantly, is a common anxiety symptom?

I have had 2 chest x-rays, a CT chest scan and several appointments with a Respiratory Consultant of which no issue has been flagged.

But this issue is really bothering me. Like right now, my chest and nose feel tight and like I can't take a deep enough breath, however I have no anxious thoughts or feelings.

I have also recently been swapped to Fluoxetine from Sertraline.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

me too it like im scared to take deep breaths in fear of some thing happening. i see im not the only one. i just had my gallbladder removed and its like i feel everything going through my body. i mean shivers, vertigo, anxiety, blood circulating through out strange things, body pulling sensation just name it. im making appointments with therapists. im stressed because of these sensations. here lying in my bed all day!!! hope you feel better

• Posted

Its horrible isnt it? Thank you, and I hope you start to feel better soon as well 😃

• Posted

Shortness of breath is extremely common in people with anxiety, panic, stress, etc. Is there any area in your life where you are having some anxiety? sometimes we’re not even aware that internally we are unsettled. And shortness of breath can develop. It’s not going to hurt you, but I know how uncomfortable it feels. I’ve had this my entire life.

I suggest that you go on YouTube and search for breathing for anxiety. Videos. There are numerous short meditations for proper breathing with anxiety. They settle down the heart rate and breathing is much easier. They definitely work. I do them several times a day.

you have Been checked out thoroughly so most likely this is due to uneasiness of some sort. I will private message you and feel free to message me anytime.

• Posted

Its exhausting! But thank you so much for the recommendation! This is definitely something I will look in to 😃

• Edited

Yep, common symptom. I'm the same - lost count of the number of respiratory tests I've had and they all came back clear. Eventually you manage to accept that it's anxiety and stopping it involves tackling that.

• Posted

hello..

im poppo

i have had similar things happen to me abit back..i do suffer anxiety and i am also on medication..i didnt like the sertraline and i myself believed it was my meds..

so doctor changed them..now on venlefaxine..i find them not too bad actually..

do you think it could have been side effects of meds..

coupled with anxiety because even meds for your diagnosis can cause unwanted side effects..

sounds good your on another flufloxetine..

try lookout for the differences in the two meds you have been on and see if your exactly the same..

i hope you find a solution and keep on reaching out till your in the right c omfortable place for yourself.

best wishes

lorraine .

• Posted

Yeah the new medication is definitely going better than the sertraline. Hopefully once the sertraline is completely out of my system I will start to feel better. Thanks Lorraine!

• Edited

Indeed, your respiratory sensations in the form of dyspnea can manifest with generalized anxiety. What most often occurs with people who experience a sense of breathlessness in the absence of any true oxygen insufficiency is a restriction from obtaining what is characterized as an inspirational breath, or the deep and satisfying breath that more fully expands the lungs. Once an individual detects the more natural occurrence of inspirational breaths, they engage in repeated voluntary attempts to induce it and very often fail to do so. This perceived inability subsequently produces increased tightness of the diaphragm and chest wall musculature, as well as mounting anxiety, resulting in further inability to obtain an inspirational breath.

It's important to recognize that respiration in the general sense is obviously an entirely involuntary process. Attempts to intervene can produce sensations that one must subsequently engage intentional tidal respiration in order for it to be maintained. The incidental inspirational breath is also part of normal physiological respiration and the purposeful intervention efforts most often result in a pattern of repeated failure. In doing so, respiration is generally increased as a consequence of the anxiety being produced and if the focus is continued it can often result in mild blood gas imbalance where too much CO2 is present. Consequently, people may feel light-headed or experience tingling sensations and even tightness in the throat or airway. Collectively, the process can significantly raise anxiety to the extent that irrational thoughts arise in the context of believing oxygen deprivation is present and constitutes a potential threat to general health.

It's noteworthy to mention here that aside from the above scenario, gastrointestinal bloating or fullness can extend upward, which subsequently can prevent full downward extension of the diaphragm necessary to obtain a full and satisfying breath. This circumstance can also set in motion the feeling that insufficient respiration and oxygen is occurring. It is, in actuality, merely a perception.

True dyspnea as a consequence of actual oxygen insufficiency is unmistakable in the clinical environment. Respirations often reach and exceed 20 cycles per minute with evidence of cyanosis observed at the lips, fingernails and toenails. The individual often appears quite pale as well. O2 measurements characteristically reveal low saturation that can range from mild insufficiency at 90 to significant insufficiency levels at 82 or lower and it is noteworthy here that these very real circumstances are most exclusively observed in persons with known diseases capable of producing O2 insufficiency.

You're going to be fine. Coaxing a yawn to occur is actually more successful than intentional efforts to obtain an inspirational breath otherwise. Ultimately, inattention to the matter will allow smooth involuntary respiration to resume its normal pace, to include inspirational breaths that occasionally arise. There is nothing lurking within you that has escaped detection of the clinical evaluations mentioned. Relaxation is a good practice and the ability to turn your attentions outward rather than inward most often meet with success and diminished health concerns where unwarranted and which most often result from irrational thought patterns associated with generalized anxiety disorder.

Best regards

• Posted

Hi Arthur!

Thank you so much for your detailed reply which has certainly put my mind at ease.

I have also seen you replies in other threads, and I just want to say thank you for taking the time to reply to these threads, and putting so many minds, mine included, at ease!

• Edited

Thank you for your most kind words and you're quite welcome.

Best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.