Shortness of breath, cannot take deep breath

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

Have anybody got shortness of breath,feeling that cannot breath deeply during the peri menopause?

Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Polly111, I'm not a Dr but I would presume you're having panic attacks. I had them when I was in my 30's. You need to de-stress. Exercise helps me a lot. I know some other women on here have this issue now. I'm sure they will give you some really sound advice. Hang in there. 
  • Posted

Yes poll. I had it for almost 9 months but it has improved.
  • Posted

Yes I get this I think because anxiety is higher it in perimenopause it makes you anxious which doesn't help. Just try and keep your mind occupied and see if you notice it then. I only notice mine when I relax :-( x
  • Posted

Yes, I've had this on and off for years, however it's been more frequent lately, when it's bad I've seen me yawning all the time just to get a breath in.  Interestingly thoiugh, my friend who has mild asthma went for a routine check last week and mentioned she had been more breathless lately but inhalers weren't helping, the nurse told her a colleague of hers had been the same and was infact diagnosed with asthma, given inhalers which didn't help and was subsequently told her 'breathlessness' was down to menopause!  Hope this helps x
  • Posted

Hi Polly, I had it too.  First, it was like when you go up a lonnng flight of stairs, then, it got worst, because it was preceded, or followed, by an irregular heartbeat - some people may call it an anxiety attack, but I had been in stressing situations and never had one, and this time, I really had no reason for having one.  Finally, it looked more as I was in the end of a cold.  It takes a while, but it stops.  I believe it is the body adapting to the severe diminishing of certain hormones. Mine took from 4 to 6 months. Always check with a doctor, but I believe it is a fairly common symptom. Cheers.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you are suffering with shortness of breath Polly, it may be related to anxiety and adrenaline...but always good to speak to your GP, at least give you practice nurse a ring.  If it becomes more severe and out of hours ring 111.  Otherwise, sit or lie in comfortable position.  Breath in for 4 seconds and out for 7seconds with one hand on your chest the other on your tummy, try to feel the main movement of your breathing to come from your tummy instead of chest breathing.  I hope you feel better soon. X
  • Posted

Hi we share the same name!!  This sounds to me like a panic attack and something I get quite frequently and learning to take slow breaths when this occurs.. believe me you are not alone....
  • Posted

Any natural remedies for that?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.