shortness of breath, hard to take deep breath

Posted , 4 users are following.

so ive been experiencing anxiety/stess for the past 5 months or so.  I have experienced a multitude of symptoms including panice attacks.  I have been to the ER at least 5 times since Feb of this year.  I have seen my primary DR and three others for second opininons, I even went to an out of network ER because they didnt have my medical history just to get a second opinion.  I have had multiple EKGs, Holter Monitoring 24hour, Stress Test, chest xrays, MRI of my head, neck xrays and every blood test possible.  All came back normal.  I am currently experiencing difficulties taking a deep breath, i get the sensation that im not getting enough air and I don't feel my breath if that makes any sense.  When i breath deep, i don't feel my chest expand, it's like numb i guess.  I had blood work to check my CO2 intake and it came back at 99%, which is great.  So at this point i dont know what is wrong with me.  Dr keeps telling me is Anxiety.  Im not taking any meds other than my Thyroid, i have Hypo.  I am doing Yoga which has helped a lot, I am seeing a therapist, and i am doing Accupuncture.  I am much better than i was 2 or 3 months ago.  I am learning to live with this breathing issue, I have had it for at least 3 weeks.  My uncle who is a dr in Mexico told me its a virus and it will go away.  So we will see. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I read all your post with interest and the last sentence made the most difference, has anyone mentioned costochondritis to you? It's an infammation of the muscles around the rib cage after a virus and cause physical difficulties breathing. I got an inhaler for mine. Go back and ask if it is. Good luck.

• Posted

Hey sam,

It sure feels like that but im feeling a lot better this week, still not 100% but am breathing better. Dr said nothing was wrong with me other than anxiety! Thanks for the heads up though.

• Posted

I had the exact same thing a few years back and still comes back from time to time

The doctor stated it's common in pregnant women (I'm a man and I'm not pregnant)

The body has enough oxygen in it and so when we breath in it doesn't need any more oxygen than it has in it already and so it doesn't take in the air, so we're left gasping when in fact the body is in a way rejecting the air at that time

Sounds crazy I know but it is the case and once I got my head round it, it's not been an issue

All the best with it all

• Posted

Yup, thats what it feels like, sometimes it felt like i couldn't fit any air in my lungs, i slowly started finding ways to get around it. Raising my hands above my head sometimes helped. Lately just really slowing down the breathing helps. The feeling is just do weird though, it felt like numbness and i just could not feel my breath, i actually also started to feel the same sensation when i peed. I could not feel my urine when it was coming out and did not get that satisfaction when you empty the bladder. Dr took a urine test and said all was clear. These are the weirdest symptoms i have ever experienced !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.