Shortness of breath, heavy/tight feeling in center of chest, sensation of "lump in throat?"

Posted , 3 users are following.

i'm sixteen years old and female. in the past few months i started having trouble with breathing and started feeling like there was a lump in my throat, and like there was a pressure on the center of my chest. all of these are symptoms to heart problems but i assume that's not the case because of my age and healthy diet. 

A few weeks ago i experienced an episode where i felt light-headed and almost went unconcious, however it was a very painful experience and i couldn't see, it felt like all the blood went straight to my head and afterwards i had a nagging headache for the next few days. I tried eating more and drinking more water and that doesn't help. With excersise it seems to get worse. I suspect maybe all of this has to do with stress, however when these symptoms happen it usually does not correlate with any kind of mental fluctuation. There is also a muscular pain on the left upper side of my chest. I basically just want you to tell me that nothing's wrong with me. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Totally get that the stress levels you millinials are havin to put up with are super crazy these days and although I’m not not much older than you I can tell you at 16 stress causing your body to response in pain shouldn’t be happening... yet. I experience pain all the time due to stress and being a hypochondriac but at 16 I was having the time of my life. Just focus on school say no to boys, keep your circle tight and get right with God. We’re gonna make it! 
  • Posted

hello v60311, sorry its taken so long to get to you.  the first thing i wouldve said would be heart but since you are 16 and healthy, ill just go on with what i think it is but dont rule heart completely out and if you really get pain on the left side (or right) get to a hospital.   now, to me, it also sounds like acid reflux. AND perhaps a hiatal hernia. the heavy feeling, is that like right there at your sternum? in the middle of the ribs? that is where your stomach is. I had what felt like a bowling ball sitting right there and it ended up being a hiatal hernia (you can look that up)and what happens is it can get so big it pushes up into your stomach.  Or it could be an ulcer in your stomach. One thing you could try is nexium or prilosec.....read on them b/c they are for different symptoms....usually you take them for 2 weeks. they are to help heal whatever acid reflux as done to your stomach.  do you get a lot of heartburn?   now, with the almost fainting,   ... do you have any , uh, well, "gastro" problems. diarrhea, constipation, etc. sometimes that stuff can make you feel like fainting.  dont eat more than usual but drinking all the water you can would be great and maybe if you take those pills stay off spicy foods, fried foods and stuff like that. i hope ive helped you some.  if you have any questions, just reply.  take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.