Shortness of breath terrified all the time!!

Posted , 112 users are following.

What does everybody's shortness of breath feel like? I even feel really really out of breath even when I talk which worries the c**p out of me!

I wake up with it and go to sleep with it every night, I feel I have got to catch my breath every few minutes just to make sure I can get air into my lungs I have this like pulling sensation in the middle of my chest that makes me want to catch it every few minutes which dosnt go away at all which drives me barmy! Also feels like I have something lodged right in the middle of my chest that I'm breathing around awful feeling.

This all started after I had 2 full blown panic attacks 10 months ago and I woke up with all these crazy Symtoms the day after I had them is this normal?

Im on medication mitrazpine and propanolol which I'm thinking of changing the mitrazpine because I was on this while I had these attacks they put me on propanolol the day after I had these attacks 3 a day 40mg and I'm having CBT therapy.

My therapist says I should stop trying to catch my breath all the time as I'm feeding my anxiety but even when I try and stop doing it it will catch itself so I can't win which makes me think there is something wrong with my breathing!

I have tried breathing exercises which don't help. I have had a X-ray which was all good and 3 ECGs which were good and chest lisend to and oxygen levels tested to everytime I'm are the doctors which is always good, I just just can't take this no more!

I feel I'm on the brink here I can't live like this another day😢 Is this ever going to go away? or am I going to feel like this forever I feel trapped in my own body.

I posted this about ten minutes ago but I think it has been deleted for some reason nevermind.

7 likes, 309 replies

309 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Luke I can sympathize with you about 10 years ago I was diagnosed with tachycardia and heart palpitations it hit me all of a sudden and anxiety was so bad but I guess when your hearts on 140 it'll do that and I have shortness of breath what's that comes with tachycardia but now my palpitations came back and so did my anxiety shortness of breath feel like I can't breathe all day then I decided I was going to take control it took a while trying to control my breathing all over the place I still get days but definitely not as bad I just had to convince myself but still go while cuz I was like this for 2 months that the palpitations and shortness of breath was not going to hurt me I feel a lot better I decided I wasn't going to let anxiety make me live with it but I was going to make it is it live with me I do have to go see a heart doctor that deals with the electrical part of the heart but I'm still here so obviously none of this is going to hurt me a good times where I feel short of breath and feel like I can't breathe what hours is off in the afternoon and sometimes not until evening but the phone was still there last couple days it's been pretty good to feeling as it really been there like it's fading just keep working at it try to keep your mind busy even though you were still think about your breathing but eventually you don't think about it as much and when you're trying to sleep just keep trying to clear your head of any thoughts and I'll focus on your breathing just keep redirecting yourself and takes time but you can do it hope you feel better

• Posted

Yeah I feel for you I also have these Heart flutters all day everyday along with shortness of breath I think my mind has linked the both together And thought "yeah you have a serious heart problem" and it just won't let it go if it all this started after my panic attacks I woke up with all these crazy Symtoms the day after 2 big attacks I though something was serious wrong.

You sound like you have accepted your anxiety and that anxiety is causing your Symtoms whereas I feel I can't do that I feel it's impossible for anxiety to do this to me without there been something else causing the shortness of breath and the the flutters and all the rest of it I also feel like i have a big knot stuck in the middle of my chest that I'm breathing around and it's so uncomfortable at times.

• Posted

It's all to do with but just keep working at accepting it and it will ease off a lot

• Posted

Do you still get the shortness of breath as a result of anxiety?. Ive had it for the nearly 2 years now. Its sometimes with you everyday all the time.
  • Posted

Thank you do much for sharing. I've been feeling exactly the same symptoms as you since March last year (10 months). I've just woken up with it again and it is driving me mad. I've visited the doctor several times and he ensures me that it's nothing life threatening and blood tests are normal. The next step is to try beta blockers but I'm not keen if this is 'in my head'.

The only thing I can think of is exercising more but I'm actually terrified to go out for long walks with my dogs because of my breathing feeling like this. I've tried several times and found myself choosing busy paths just so someone will be there to help me if I need it. It's crazy but becoming a real issue. I'm just wondering if there is light at the end of the tunnel. How are you now?

• Posted

I have the same thing I'm terrified! Does it feel like ur breathing pattern is off too?

• Posted

I feel the same way 24-7. How r u now, is it better?
    • Posted

I'm getting better every day after going to the Doctor for anti anxiety medication.  My husband left me three weeks ago.  I think subconsciously I must've known things were far from okay and my body has been trying to tell me to sort things out.  Apart from a broken heart, I know I'm going to be okay. All the symptoms you describe sound like my anxiety symptoms.  I hope you all feel better soon.

• Posted

If anyone has any suggestions please! So i am 38 and i have had anxiety most of my life in some form. Whether it was not being able to drive, going out to eat, panic attacks ...you name it. Anyway since i was a teenager i had a couple bouts where i couldn't breathe.  it would last a couple days and thats it. I have gone to the emergency room and urgent care for this a handful of times and have had blood tests done. They always say that i am healthy and that it's anxiety. And i guess with my history it makes sense. Well the whole breathing thing has gotten worse over the past 5 years. I get a tight chest and throat as well. I usually get it now at least once a year and it lasts a few weeks and then is gone out of nowhere. But It started up again  december and now here we are in February and i still have it. Some days are better than others. Its really making life miserable..thank god i work from home. I have trouble eating, working out and I cant even have a glass of wine...that makes it worse. This is the longest i ever had it and i really cant take it much longer. Sometimes i just sit and cry. Im not sure what else to do. I just want to get back to my normal life. Normal anxiety i can handle but this breathing thing is horrifying. If anyone has any tips (yes ive tried the breathing exercises) please let me know. Or even if you have anxiety, I would love to talk and know im not crazy and alone. Thanks!

• Posted

I'm going through the same thing exactly. I'm terrified it's been almost a month and like I said some days better than others. I have trouble eating holding a conversation and some days I just cry because I want to breath normal

• Posted

So glad someone else is feeling the same way. I hate it when people say just relax. I am relaxed and I don't feel anxious...its just this damn breathing. it's just scary that it's lasted this long...

• Posted

Omg... i thought that i was the only person with this problem. It started a 10 days ago and sadly this occurs in me 24×7. I know this is really annoing and painful... i had a panic attack one night and i think that was the biggest anxiety i ever had! And i doubt this shortness of breath is the result of that anxiety . I watch pastor BENNY HINN'S preachings and that gives a relief.. i pray to GOD, read BIBLE, and im sure he'll heal me smile

Good luck guys

• Posted

The past few days I've felt like I can't breathe properly. I'm now worried something is wrong with my lungs! I keep thinking back to when I spray painted indoors a year ago and hoping I didn't damage my lungs... I'm only 28. Knowing other people have had this for an extended period of time makes me feel a little bit better. Hopefully once my citalopram kicks in, this won't happen anymore...

• Posted

Yes it's me with too I am prescribed paroxetine cr 12.5 Mg.its started me with panic attack and I got sensitive to everything my heart my breath my health but worst is breathlessness I am noticing always here and there its had ruined my good life.more I try to forget more I get conscious I can't sleep also can't find way.god help me plz. 

• Posted

Hi Melissa,

Just checking to see how you are doing? I am on and off, some days are worse and now I'm experiencing constant tightness in my throat or I'll feel out of breath just going to the mailbox. I feel like haven't Felt "normal" in a long time. It's hard to even enjoy some alcoholic drinks. It makes my breathing worse. Some times I swear I'm dying sad

• Posted

Same problem with me . Tight chest and breath problem .
    • Posted

hi im suffering from this now would like to know how your getting on x

• Posted

HI leanne

I havent been on in awhile. I still have some breathing issues. I feel like I have better control of it now. I am trying not to let it effect me but sometimes its overbearing. I have joined a group on fb. This guy has a private help group and i am starting to see changes. They really understand and help guide you to recovery. Hope all is well with you!

• Posted

Hi! Search up Breathing pattern disorder and read on it!:)) And do the excercises

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.