Shortness of breath , what has helped you

Posted , 4 users are following.

what has helped you with terrible shortness of breath, it feels i can't catch a breath and once in a while when I get that deep breath it's so relieving. is it the low progesterone that is causing these? I feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen to my brain. it's scary:(

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Hi Priya, seems like you are having some anxiety and a mild panic reaction. Try to take slow breaths, don't try to force to take deep breaths in the beginning. The more you try to take deep breaths, the more panic one feels if you are not able to sustain the in-breathing . Happens to me from time to time, but often I am not able to get enough oxygen, but now I know that it is my stress / panic reaction and try to slow down my breathing. It does become better with time.

Try relaxing. Chamomile tea helps in relaxing. Do try it.

• Edited

thank you, I have been trying that and practicing belly breathing too. I used to get panic attacks before some months and it reduced but since 2 days feels like they have returned along with palpitations and shortness of breath, so scary as it happens 😦

• Edited

Hi there whenever I have shortness of breath/ chest tightness can't get that deep breath feeling with palpatations for me its a combo of anxiety and digestion.. it seems like I swallow more air .. besides obviously short shallow calm breaths until I can catch that deep breath for relief , I find any way to make myself burp/belch sips of water or pop and that always relieves me as well as the palpatations..also tight clothing around waist and bra line can also restrict and cause a lit of distress for me..

• Posted

thank you. I feel this is the worst symptom ever, I cannot get a full satisfying breath and then I feel like yawning but it is like a broken yawn, it is there all the time these days. sometimes I also get this fatigue extreme kind of like my hands and legs are going to paralyze or something. it is so weird and then an electric shock like sensation runs to my head, I feel like I'm going crazy. trying not be anxious but can't help. also get slight pain in my chest area and that adds to the anxiety 😦

• Posted

yes I get all the same where my hands and legs don't want to move like they get paralyzed .. I write my symptoms down everyday and they always repeat.. I call these my neurological symptoms..I get bad migraines and auras and everything for me is connected..so you get migraines dizziness off balance blurry vision with this when it happens to you, and does it repeat every month

• Posted

hi priya

thank goodness I'm not the only one feeling like this

I'm going thru perimenopause and periods very erratic,had all the symptoms of menopause but this latest shortness of breath,has previously in the last few been walking me up in the middle of the night ,but now its constant ,I'm continually trying to take deep breaths to try and fill my lungs but never feel I've enough oxygen for long,its very worrying which them makes me more anxious,

my resting heart rate can go below 60 per minute as well ,

as long as this is all normal and it will pass I would feel reassured but at the moment it's very worrying I really feel for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.