Shortness of breath with Costochondritis?

Posted , 83 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Costochondritis and I have been noticing shortness of breath along with pain. I have had EKG's and chest xrays as well as blood tests. My doctor firmly believes this is not a heart issue.

Has anyone else noticed shortness of breath with this? My pain is mainly in my sternum but radiates through out my whole chest wall.

3 likes, 152 replies

152 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I was so relieved to see your message!! Thought I was going crazy with both condo and breathlessness. Like you, I have had many tests and procedures and nothing has shown up. My gp is pretty good but doesn't agree that there is a connection. If the medical professionals can't help,what can we do?
    • Posted

My gp told me that the inflammation can be in between your ribs and seeing as your ribs expand when you breath, it can feel more difficult to breath. Though at times it becomes very bothersome for me and I wanted to know if others were having the same problem. Thank you for replying. It's good to know I am not the only one.
    • Posted

I'may so relieved as well to see that I know what I'm talking about. I've been to soany doctors and done so many tests to no avail. I finally went to see an acupunturist and she told me that it was inflammation in my rib cage.

I am off dairy products, red meat , caffeine and any mucus forming foods. I've been seeing a chiropractor as well and the pain is finally going away and I can get deep breaths now.

• Edited

Yes, I have shortness of breath with pain, this condition for me is learn as I go. I'd NEVER heard of this Costochondrits before being diagnosed in Oct 2015. Some days I can bearly move, its a life changing thing. My husband got me a messger that you sit against that hooks to a chair  that kinda rolls un and down my back, and it helps with relaxing my muscles. And for me I'm able to relax a little and not focus on shortness of breath. you'll find little things that help..its just scary at times and its so good to have this site to talk to ohers and know your not alone. Take Care
  • Edited

I was just diagnosed with Costochondritis yesterday. I've read may post and comments on here which have answered a lot of my questions. Thank you for sharing!

• Edited

I was diagnosed with costochondritis about 2 years ago but recently have been to hospital and was originally diagnosed with angina. After having an angiogram and being told there was mild furring up of an artery they aren't sure if I have angina. I have had ct scan for heart and lungs and that was ok but still keep getting ache in chest radisting from centre to both sides and short of breath. Shortness of breath is worse when I have less aching and it doesn't hurt when I take a breath either. Most people seem to

Have pain when breathing but I don't. Do you have pain on deep breathing?

• Posted

I was diagnosed a few days ago with costocondritis. Last week I stretched in bed and tweeked my upper back, ever since then my chest had been getting tighter and achy in the front sternum area but sometimes across the whole chest. Dr. prescribed me prednisone but said I should wait a while before taking it. I've been using ibuprofen. The shallow breathing is the worst. Absolute worst. At the moment I'm not experiencing chest pain (just got up this morning) but the tightness and trouble breathing is making me panic which is probably making everything worse. I just want the weird feeling in my upper back to go away. I've had back aches before, usually lower back but at the moment it just feels hopeless, like it will never go away. I wish people would come back and let us know that they are doing better. I went on YouTube and I think I'm going to try the backpod, it's getting good reviews. Supposed to open up the frozen part of the back joints so pressure on sternum goes away. I will check back here and let you know.

• Posted

Whats your follow up on this? So 2 days ago i was on a 2 hour drive. I have two babies. My son needed fed so i maxe him a bottle. I was driving with my left hand and reaching clear back to the right passenger seat in the middle row and was feeding him for probably a good 5 minutes. That night I started having terrible pain on my right chest and rib area. I woke up at 3am laying down and I every time I took in a breath it was sharp stabbing pain. Now here I am at night 2. The pain has seemed to lessen as every time I breathe it doesnt hurt as bad unless I take a deep breath. It still hurts to cough and sneeze and yawn though. My only concern now is that I get out of breath very easily. I cant even walk up my basement stairs (20 steps) without getting short of breath and the pain starting again. I need some reassurance. I'm only 24. I had many tests done and conclusion was Costo. She gave me 200mg ibuprofen..really? That didnt even touch the pain. When it hurts its like someone is breaking my ribs. I would rather have chils birth..no joke. Please guys. Tell me I'm not crazy and this is normal? I have terrible anxiety and I'm terrified of dying.

• Posted

Ugh, I was just diagnosed with Costco two days ago, and I too suffer from bad anxiety. I hate the feeling. The tightness and hard time breathing. I am always afraid I am going to die. And I know that is not healthy to worry about. I feel light headed and it's been pretty bad the last two nights. I have been ok during the day but not at night. I just want more answers.

• Posted

Hi Betty. The anxiety causes the tightness of the chest and makes the breathing worse. It’s always worse at night time as you don’t have anything to distract you. If you breathe in and when you are doing it slowly count to 4 and then slowly breathe out and in your head count to 6. Keep doing this and it will focus your mind on something else. It was a doctor st the hospital that taught me how to breathe and it works. When you are feeling anxious you take short breaths because you are not breathing out all the carbon dioxide so when you breathe in you cannot fill them with as much oxygen because your lungs are not completely empty of the carbon dioxide, so you can only take a short breath. If you focus on your breathing while counting you will find you start to breathe better. It does work. 
    • Posted

I literally had to pep talk my way through it. It cleared up in about a week, but it was terrifying and I woulsnt wish it upon anyone. Any updates for you?
    • Posted

omg i know how you feel im the same docs are way too casual this pain is real

and terrifying im new to it too see how you get on with steriods xxx

• Edited

I am very "happy" to know that there are others out there who also struggle with Costochondritis and the symptoms that accompany the condition such as chest pain, feeling of heart discomfort, shortness of breath, fatigue and general discomfort.

This month I will celebrate one year with costo. One year where I've felt "my last hour" a number of times, been at the doctor several times every month,  x ray pictures of lungs, CT scan of chest and heart, heart rate measurement, etc. For me, 2017 really has been a black year .

Normally I do lots of sports, I have completed 2 marathons within the last couple of years. Now i "dare" not even run for more than 2 minutes.

My best advice would be to visit a chiropractor and an acupuncture, And then you need lots of patience, and never give up!

If there is anybody out there who has some tips on how to get rid of costo, then please share them here...

• Posted

I’m on my second flare up of costo since August. Initially I was told it was due to chest infection and second flare up is unresolved costo apparently can take a year to clear up. I too am an avid runner and it’s distressing now being short of breath sometimes even just walking. I’m on the anti inflammatory meds but if anyone has other recommendations I would love to hear as I truly am sick of it now 
    • Posted

I was diagnosed a week ago with costo, but I'm aware it was building up in the weeks before this, only it just keeps getting worse. If I go for a short walk, my chest is so tight for the next two days. I haven't been outside since Monday, as I'm scared of what walking seems to do.  All I did yesterday was potter about my flat and by the evening, I was exhausted and felt like I had an elephant sitting on my chest, with referral pains going into my face and back. I've bought a backpod and tried it for the last two days. I had a massage and acupuncture. Nothing so far is helping. I'm in so much discomfort. I've had an ecg (at a&e) a ct scan and bloods done (due to a mystery illness I had after a trip to Sri Lanka). Is there anything else I should ask to get tested? I don't have the usual sternum area pain. I just have extreme tenderness in lower left ribs and increasing amounts of chest tightness and shortness of breath throughout the day, followed by referred pain into face, back and arms. Cannot work and cannot go about any normal activities. Any advice very welcome 

• Posted

That's exactly how it started for me!

I can't give any advice at all, as all tests that I had done at the time came back negative. 2 years later I am still wondering what the hell is wrong with me... It got worse for 3-4 months, I was out of work for 3 months, then I was put on meloxicam for inflammation, propranolol for rapid heartbeat, amitryptiline for pain/anxiety/insomnia. Amitryptiline did nothing apart from turn me into a zombie, so I stopped that pretty soon. I weaned myself off the others in 9 months. I did get better, but the progress was painfully slow. Now, 2 years on, I am pain-free 90% of the time, with occasional flareups, but not frequently and they don't last long.

As for tests: I had ECG five times, standard blood tests, blood tests for bone functions, heart CT, lung CT twice, chest X-rays twice etc etc. What I did not get tested for: viral infections, vitamin deficiencies, allergies. I too had a mystery illness weeks before costo started. About 9 months into costo I was offered tests for a few viruses but by that time I was sick of more tests and no results, and even if I had been positive for a virus, the treatment (take antiinflammatory and keep fingers crossed) would not have changed, so I didn't have them.

What I have in mind: cocksakie viruses (A and B), hepatitis viruses, Eppstein Barr and such like.

I was recently tested for vitamin D, and it came back as very low. Vit D deficiency can cause issues with bones and joints, as well as weak immune system. I am on Vit D at the mo, seems like an easy fix. There is evidence that food allergies (gluten, egg etc) can cause joint pain - but cleaning up my diet did not help me specifically.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

If there is one advice I would give my 2-year-ago self: do not panic and take it one day at a time. Life with costo is still life and we should strive to find enjoyment in it.

• Posted

Hi Kate. I have symptoms very much like yourself. Don’t really get sternum pain apart from now and again. Was diagnosed about 4 years ago but it went off after a few months but then started again last July. Had all the tests for heart problems. Have slight gutting up but said for my age 59 that could be normal. Don’t take anything but aspirin and ranitidine to protect stomach. It has got better unless I do any lifting now. I think some of it was made worse through anxiety but you can’t help it. Since I have thought it isn’t life threatening I have felt better most of the time. Still get pains in my arms and up into my face with it though and sometimes across my upper chest. It moves around. I keep having flushed with it as well. Not heard anyone else comment on that though. Stress makes it worse. 
    • Posted

Meant furring up not gutting up. Predictive text. Lol. 
    • Posted

Flushed as in flushed skin? Yeah, I have that.
    • Posted

The only tests I’ve had done was an ecg, ct thorax abdo and pelvis. I was under cardiology at the time and spent two days in hospital on morphine. This time around it’s right up my chest wall and the inflammation is way worse to the point they could feel the swellings. Worsen mistake iceberg made twice is going for physio while I had the inflammation I shouldn’t have know better and waited few days.  I find ive to lie high in pillows to expand the ribcage. Rest is definitely the key to some relief as after a long day at work I’m in agony and so breathless. Going to give acupuncture a go this week. 
    • Posted

Me too. I’m just thankful I have a supportive partner because when I’ve a flare up I just become crippled for the few days. 
    • Posted

When I get flushed it doesn’t last long but I  get quite warm for a couple of minutes as well and then it passes. It’s like going through the menopause all over again. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. It's sounds like you've been through one hell of a journey with it. Interesting yours started after a mystery illness too. 

It sounds like it's taken a long time and a lot of meds but it's s relief to hear that you're so much better than you previously were. My vitamin D levels are fine so sadly that isn't a fix for me. Right now, I wish I could just walk for a few minutes without getting shortness of breath and being wiped out for the rest of the day. I also wish I could go to work. It's unbelievably frustrating. Hoping it goes sooner rather than later... 

• Posted

Hello, I'm new to this forum and only just seeing all the replies now so I'm sorry for the delay. Felt great this am but then went for short walk to the shops and now suffering badly with burning/tight chest, shortness of breath and the usual rib pain...

I went to an osteo who freed up my rib hinges yesterday and I thought this would be the answer but I don't think it was. How was your acupuncture? 

• Posted

Hi Sally, I'm very glad to hear that yours is just about better. I get night sweats with mine too..

So lifting seems to be the trigger for quite a few people. For me it's lifting, pottering and walking more than a couple of minutes. 

I wish doctors understood more about how to treat this condition. It's getting me really down. 

• Posted

I hadn’t had Physio last Thursday was in bits for two days then good. Back to square one again yesterday and today short of breath and pain. Literally ran from shop to car to get out of rain and was extremely short of breath 
    • Edited

Wow sounds so similar to me. 2017 was brutal. I was very active as well and it's now a year later and I am just at 10 minutes walking! It's life changing that's for sure. I just started back at work in January as I was basically stuck and couldn't move. Oesteopath helped but I started accupuncture 2 months back and it truly has made a remarkable difference. It's the little things that seem to be adding up. Focusing on inflammation as a whole and also for some reason adding vitimin d has helped a lot too. Be positive because I have gotten better compared to each month but I had to find the thing that worked for me.

For anyone dealing with this I give you a huge hug it's the scariest thing I've ever gone through. Even now I still get little punches from the inside which feels like my heart is exploding. Stops me in my tracks. I've had chest vibrations, pounding heart, pain, and severe shortness of breath which is my hugest problem. I've been told the chest can't expand. Feels like a pit.

It's sad but I too wondered many times if I would make it through the night.

Anyhow kind of got on a rant there but I am happy to have this support!

• Edited

I also forgot to mention that my doctor gave me a topical anti inflammatory cream I think it's diclofenac gel and it helps so much! I rub it all over the ribs and sternum and since using it I could sleep on my left side.

• Posted

I got mine from a pnemonia so strange to me that could happen and docs can't understand it. It took 5 months of misery before anyone even figured it out. I am glad for you guys who got diagnosed so fast. I also take anti Inflammatory herbs and I don't have any sugarsad I've always been gluten free.

• Posted

Wanna see what everyone thinks so im 250 lbs just started walkimg to lose weight and started feeling like i couldnt brethe didnt have pain but discomfort in left chest pretty much i got better but in er this is what they said i had btw . but Pretty sure it was thier a lil but gone... So i started walking again only a mile at a time this time for about 3 weeks but about 2 weeks ago i got it again and went to er without no discomfort but now dr says ashma i think i was misdiagnosed cause its like shortness of brethe more like i cant breath and im 90 percent sure its not ashma like he said cause with the exception of not breatheing right thiers no wheezing cough etc that goes with it and ashma pump aint working and i asked if its this condition that i was diagnosed with lazt month and he said hes not 10p percent and btw now thiers discomfort on my lower mid right side and upper left chest no pain but discomfort.. And where im at its very hot 90s to 100s.. Do you guys think the condition came back from being big and exercising doing the mile a day 5 days a week? Fyi all blood tests came back good ekg good xrays were good and he checked my lungs and they sounded good. Just seeing if i regot it which i think it did.. I am on high blood pressure medication and seen high blood pressure causes shortness of breath but not the discomfort i got and ive had high blood pressure without medication 2 years before the blood medication and never had this.. Sorry so long lol but you guys think i just got costco again from walking so soon or that a miles to much for since im 240 250

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.