Shortness of breath with Gabapentin?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve been on Opioids since 2010 when I suffered severe and permanent burns and chronic pain from radiation treatment for prostrate cancer. I’ve been on 300mg of Gabapentin for about a year and my doc now wants me to take 1200mg a day.  I take the 1st one in the morning and there’s no side effects but when I take the second one around 4 in the afternoon I get really sleepy and have shortness of breath for an hour or two. I also have chronic asthma which may have something to do with it. It is really helping with my pain. Has anyone else experienced shortness of breath taking this drug?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm off Gabapentin now.vstopped taking it 7 days ago. While taking it many times I had shortness of breath but the worst side effect fo me was blurry vision. I thought I was going blind. That was the main reason I went off. The Dr put me on 8 week detox. I would love to say I feel great being off it, but not so. I have had terrible burning cramps in legs and feet amongst other things. Yesterday was a ok day, today have a lot of burning going on in one leg. On this web site they tell me this is normal. One day good and one day not so good. I keep telling myself it too shall pass. I should add. I only took 200 mg of this drug for 16 mnths and even though I'm in pain am glad I'm off it.

Take care of yourself.

• Posted

Yes I have ! And I do not have asthma . I was on it only for 5 weeks @2400mg/day. I have been off it for 6 weeks now and still am experiencing all of the detoxing symptoms. I am very irritated with the whole issue.
    • Posted

Hi Karen, I too am irritated and there's nothing I can do. I am trying X maganisum and Formula 303 which is a nerve relaxant to try to ease up on some of the side effects of detoxing. I have been off it 8 days.

• Posted

Hi Marie... I wish you the best on this journey. For me it has been a very serious struggle. Doctor are telling me I need a psychiatrist however I do disagree. Other than a pinched sciatic nerve I had no other problems in my life or my physical being. I will do what they say and post the results.
  • Posted

I'm on 4th day on 300mg/day and just started to get shortness of breath and blurry vision. Is there anyone out there who takes this without problems.

• Posted

The blurry vision was the worst side effect for me. I thought I was going blind. Since I'm off the Gabapentin it has lifted. I can now see again.

• Posted

Im on 300 mg 2 times a dayfor nerve pain and i was sleepy in the beginning but then it went away. I cant say ir makes me short of breath as i had that before i started gabapentin. Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.