Shoukd i be concerned

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a little pulse oxoximeter that I sometimes use to check for afib and I've noticed that the bars on the side don't often go up and down in a regular motion even though my pulse rate is steady - does anyone know what this means and should I be concerned? Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steve. I'm not a doctor, so this is not sound advice. I do, however have paroxysmal atrial fibrillation, and have consequently some knowledge of such things.

I assume that your oxymeter is one of those clip on the finger things? If it does not keep up with your pulse, as felt on your wrist, neck or otherwise, then I would suspect just a poor contact on the finger or at the skin, or maybe a faulty device. These things tend to work on the basis of shining a light (often green) at the skin and measuring the redness in the light returned. This should rise and fall regularly with the capillaries expanding under the influence of the rise in blood pressure, and the overall redness will indicate the oxygen content being carried by the blood.

When AF occurs, the pulse becomes erratic, because the heart has not been properly primed at the time that it beats, and therefore the pulse doesn't happen. If your pulse is normal, and not erratic, then I would not worry too much.

I would still suggest that you get your heart checked out by a doctor, preferably on an ECG, if this continues though, as there are lots and lots of other things that can be going wrong.

• Posted

I had an ecg last week and everything was ok - it just seems strange that the bars are not going smoothly up and down. When I put the meter on my girlfriend's finger the bars rise and fall smoothly?

• Posted

I wouldn't rely on the pulse ox for that. I use the Alicecor Kardia to detect AFIB. For me noticing the AFIB isn't really a problem, but sometimes if I have a few skipped beats I might want to check to make sure something isn't starting... It is $100, but it is nice to have and is approved by the FDA to detect AFIB.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.