Should antibiotic use be significantly reduced to prevent more antibiotic resistance?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can i please have as many different views and opinions as possible, to see what the majority of people believe, for research purposes. Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

I think it depends upon each case. If one has any sort of chronic condition I believe that antibiotics should be used if the patient has a serious illness. Any reduced immunity in a person will also require antibiotics. And possibly age has something to do with it all as well. There may be a case for young and healthy people to not be given antibiotics willy-nilly but people not in this category probably need them I think. Recently I had a terrible chest infection which I was frightened could develop into pneumonia and it was only antibiotics that kicked it out of me. Hope this is of some use. Chris

• Posted

Yes I agree with chris66840, ever since the GP's were recently warned about the use of antibiotics, they seem to go the other way and never prescribe them out of caution which is not right either. I would argue that anyone without a major health risk can go without antibiotics, as the body will heal itself but others need them if the winter flues etc. get out of hand. Especially asthmatics, elderly, low immunity etc. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.