Should I be able to “flex” my ankle 3 weeks after ankle surgery for a trimalleolar fracture?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Okay, so I was thrown off my horse May 21 and landed horribly. I dislocated my ankle and had a trimalleolar fracture with some damage to my cartilage and ligaments. Surgery was put off for a week due to swelling. I had surgery May 30 and was put into a cast immediately. 2 weeks post op I had stitches removed and was put into a air cast but NWB still. I was instructed to start PT because my ankle was too stiff. I only have to go 1 time a week but I have 4 exercises I have to do 2 times daily. My question is, should I be able to “flex” my ankle in the downward position? Such as when you are pushing down the accelerator in the car while driving? I can move it up, toes towards me, pretty well but it won’t budge at all if I try to move it downward. Is this normal? I’m 20, so I guess I’m scared that I won’t ever be able to move it downward. I play softball and volleyball and I’m in college and I’m so afraid I won’t be able to do the things I used to before. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,  

I started going to PT two to three times a week about a month after my surgery.  It is a combination of your exercises at home and what they do at PT that will take time to get your ankle fully moving.  It is normal for your ankle not to move the way it did before right now. My ankle moves fine , but my toes are kinda frozen in place. It’s differnt for everyone You won’t be cleared to drive until you are out of the boot and fully weight bearing.   There will be plenty of time to loosen up your ankle.  I am now 10 weeks post op and am 100 % WB with the aircast and crutches  My PT thinks in 3-4 weeks I will be able to move to a regular shoe and ankle brace. It’s at that time you will be allowed to drive.  It takes time. But as others have told me on this website, it is a series of steps to get to the next one might not go too smooth. But you will get there. Good luck 

• Posted

Fear not - one, you are very young, and the younger the better for prognosis! I'm jealous, lol. Two, you are only at three weeks, seems like an eternity when you are sitting there waiting to get back to normal, but you are early on. I have zero doubt you will be back to full ankle recovery at a speedy rate because you are starting the exercises pretty quick. Don't worry, yes you will be able to do things, tick tock, lol you will get there!! :-)

• Posted

Thank y’all for being so nice and responding back smile y’all have made me feel better! I’m such a worrier so I think of the worst things that could potentially  happen! Lol :-)
    • Posted

Welcome, try not to worry, just a little time. Seriously, your age in this is the gift. I know it sucks waiting though lol Good luck! :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.