Should i be concerned about my nail health?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, some of my finger nails are looking a bit wierd and i am trying to figure out if i should see a doctor or be concerned about this. 

About half my finger nails are showing some slight waviness or non-normal curvature where the middle of the nail dips down a bit and the end of the nail points up a bit. 

This is most apparent on the nails of my two ring fingers. The nails one these fingers also seem a bit abnormally red and also have some sharper indents that run perpendicular to the rolling indents. Pictures of these nails are attached (the grooves/waves on the other fingers is probably too slight to be seen on camera).

Not sure how long it has been like this for. I think that it has only started in past 1-3 months, but i could be wrong. I haven't been able to find anything online that looks exactly like what i see on my fingers, but some things that are fairly similar (like curved nails, spoon nails) say that it could be a sign of vitamin deficienies or developing diseases.

I want to be pro-active on this if possible (but also don't want to spend time overthinking it if there is no issue).

I am 27 year old male, feel very healthy. Excersise often and eat well. 

Not sure if it matters- but I used to bite my nails frequently and have mostly kicked the habit now, but sometimes find myself biting them a couple times a week.

Should i be concerned

Should i see a doctor about this?

Or should i just wait and keep an eye on it?

Thanks!

Dan

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Don't be too concerned but do go and see you doctor. It's probably very easily reversible if it's anything. Might not be in a year's time. 

• Posted

Thanks jenny for your input! smile I will schedule a doctor for next week 
  • Posted

I'm guessing its your nail biting that has damaged the nail bed. This often shows in the type of dips and bumps in the nails as you have shown. Otherwise your nails look quite healthy.   Just kick that habit .  Unfortunately those dips and bumps are probably there for life.  

• Posted

Thanks Marina! Do you have any idea why it would just show up in the past few months, even though i did most of my nail biting when i was much younger?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.