Should I be concerned with how much worse my Gout attacks are becoming?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I went from having 1 gout attack in one foot every 1-2 years that lasted 2 weeks to now getting them 2-3 times per year in BOTH feet that takes 2 months to recover.

I have never taken any medication for my gout other than Cherry pills. So do I need to start taking stronger medication to prevent future attacks?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have had my pseudogout in toes and knees for years.  I only ever take pain relief when I get it.  However I did figure out one or two triggers for my personal attacks and avoid them.  When I get an attack I find that ice packs, and piroxicam gel and elevation of the limb helps.  It is true that it takes a good couple of months to get full mobility back - advice from a physio on gentle exercise helps.  However in the end it does damage the joints and I am waiting for a knee replacement for the knee where I have had the most attacks.  Before you take stronger medication get the doctor to check whether you have genuine gout or pseudo gout.  There is medication you can take for gout but my case of pseudo gout has no suitable medication (sad for me!!!).  It is horrible but honestly there is little to really prevent it.  I also found it helpful to go on a pain management course to help cope.
  • Posted

Hi Zee

i know how you feel.

one recent change for me that has so far prevented any twinge of gout (without wishing to tempt fate here!) is blood pressure medication.

My Doctor found that my blood pressure was quite high so put me on Amlodipine tablets. This seems to have reduced my BP and since taking them has stopped the persistent twinges I was getting in my toes. Beforehand, I would have taken Ibuprofen as a means of stopping a twinge develop into an attack. Now I don't need to.

• Posted

To some extent the answer to that question depends on your age and health now, your weight and what medication you're on, and how long since your first symptoms.

The short answer is that gout is not a disease; it is the symptom of hypereuricemia. If you answer the questions above I can give you a better answer.

In the meantime the best thing any gout sufferer can do is drink more water.

• Posted

You need to get to the Dr and have the gout confirmed by blood tests and there are preventative medications you can take, Allopurinol.... I left it years before I was put on them and am having a lot of problems now affecting my work and am about to put a sick note in.... def don't leave it

• Posted

My gout attacks are getting more intense as well and longer to recover . I have also been wondering about this . Just got diagnosed a couple of years ago and when it first started it the pain only lasted 3 days but now it has taken weeks to recover and the pain is much worse now . Have it in both feet and knees and am presently taking colchicine . 0.6 mg 2 times a day but do not see that it is helping that much . This attack started last Friday and still hurts to walk although the pain is not as intense as it was . Sunday night was really bad , could not stand for the sheets to touch my ankle
    • Posted

Your doctor seems not to have a profound understanding of gout but simply wants to stop the symptoms long enough to keep you out of his surgery.

Long term, hyperuricemia causes damage to the heart and arteries. It will also cause progressive damage to joints through gout attacks. Urate lowering therapy such as allopurinol will address the underlying issue - high blood urate - eventually stopping the gout and reducing the other risks.

• Posted

Have been thinking about seeing a rheumatologist, been having pain in my big toe for several years and never thought about gout , went to a foot doctor and he would put me in a fracture boot saying it was stress fracture , changed foot doctors and he finally tested me for gout but has been unwilling to give me anything for it until this last week .

Have you been to a rheumatologist yet ?

• Posted

Hi Ernest

Firstly... a doctor who thinks you have a fracture (1 chance in a thousand) as opposed to gout - middle aged men 4%+. His only defence could be that he did an X-ray. Did he do an X-ray? If so, and if you have gout one would expect to see the signs of gout on an X ray. I can understand you never thought of gout... but when a patient goes to see a doctor and says I'm a middle aged man and have been having foot pain off and on for years. Which is most likely, that he teaches karate and has had a series of fractures or that he's had gout?

Rheumatologist - I had the good fortune to be sent to see a rheumatologist on the day that they found my blood irate was high. In your case - that is the first test they should have done when you had pain in your foot (unless you teach karate).

The rheumatologist put me straight - gout is not a pain in the foot - it is the symptom of a disease which will give you a heart attack or kidney failure 10 years down the line if untreated.

However an ordinary doctor can treat gout. All they have to do is use a bit of common sense and do a uric acid test (when no signs of gout). THen give allopurinol and colchesine and advise exercise and weight loss.

It is not advisable to give allopurinol till the gout attack has passed. Be aware that allopurinol will give gout attacks as monosodium urate is flushed from your system. Keep colchicine or similar at hand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.