Should i be scared

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys, so in about a week I'm gonna be having an upper endoscopy done and I'm scared rolleyes mostly because of the anesthesia they'll be giving me because I start to wonder the "what ifs" like what if the anesthesia doesn't agree with my body or what if something happens to me while under anesthesiarolleyes I've had anesthesia before when I was smaller but I don't remember being this scared. has anyone ever had an endoscopy done?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Its a breeze. I have done many.they use very little anesthesia.its quick
    • Posted

That's what my mom said too but i can't get passed the fear rolleyes

• Posted

I need to have the same test done but haven't yet because of that same fear. So I understand how you feel. I hope you are able to take something to help you relax about it. The test will go fine and you'll do great 😊

• Posted

Don't worry, there's nothing to be scared of. Endoscopy is quick and easy, just don't worry too much. It's gonna be an easy breeze and you won't even know it. All I remembered was being in the room, getting the shot and the next thing I'm done and can go.

• Posted

Yea I know rolleyes but I get its the anxiousness I get from thinking about falling asleep with no control from the anesthesia

• Posted

You shouldnt be totally asleep,just unaware of discomfort
  • Posted

Change you what if's to positives, it's silly we only use what if thinking for negative thinking. Your getting this done for a reason, so what if the doc finds something that is really simple and you feel so much better and can get it taken care of. It's truly a breeze and the doctors are so qualified you will be in the best hands, and in the safest place possible. Tell your self dont worrie over something that hasn't even happened. Their are millions of people that go in for surgeries every day and are perfectly fine. You'll do great and then look back and think wow I was all worked up and worried for nothing, why did I put myself through that.

• Posted

I forgot to tell you this an endoscope you are under what's called Twilight it is actually the most relaxing wonderful feeling ever I just had it done because I had to get my gallbladder out and they needed to check and make sure it wasn't severe acid reflux to be honest I wish they sold that medicine they use to put you under into that Twilight Stage over the counter I would probably take it every night just to relax.

• Posted

I have not,but my husband had 2 and my son had 1. Both had what they call twilight anesthesia. Not quite out,but out enough to not feel any discomfort. I was scheduled for one once,then doc didnt think i needed it,the part i was scared of was the choking feeling i might get from the tube. I had anethesia for a colonoscopy, was the most relaxed i ever felt. And no discomfort.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.