Should I be tested?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been suffering from chronic fatigue for the past year or so. I have an underactive thyroid which is being treated. I also have low B12 and Vit D. However my iron results from recent bloods were the following:

Serum iron 33.3 (5.8-34.5 umol/L)

Serum Transferrin 2.53 (2.0-3.6 g/L)

TIBC 57.56 (44.8-71.6 umol/L)

%Transferrin Satn. 57.9%

Ferritin 174 (13-150 ug/L)

Due to the high %Transferrin saturation and ferritin, I was thinking of getting the test for haemochromatosis although my doctor hasn't raised the issue. Should I get tested or are my levels not high enough?

I am female by the way!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Vit B12 and Vit D are very important, and if tablets do not work for you, ask for injections of B12 and buy a practitioners brand of Vit D3 drops.  They work wonders for me when tablets did not.  Some of us just don't absorb the tablet form.

Is there anyone in the family with know haemochromatosis, or have high Iron Studies?

Bring up the genetic testing with your dr yourself.  If you get nowhere with this dr or any other, take matters in your own hands and donate blood every 3 months or so.  People with "normal" blood levels are donating all the time.

Keep a record or your donations to prove you have an increase in your Iron Studies despite donating.

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying. There is nobody in the family that I know of who has haemochromatosis.  I'm getting a B12 injection tomorrow even though I had to convince my GP to give it to me.  My B12 levels are currently 254 (range is 197-771).  She said that's not 'abnormal'.  However, my thyroid support group recommends being at 800 with B12 to be optimal.

I might just to ahead and order a genetic test for peace of mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.