Should I be tested for cushings? If not what should I do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all I'm new here smile I just wanted some opinions on whether I should ask to be tested for cushings, especially since it's quite a rare thing to be diagnosed with. 

So I'll tell you a little about myself, I'm 16 and 73kg, 5'0 - 5'2 in height, I am usually an active person and used to play sports until I started experiencing these symptoms which are : 

Increased weight gain, my weight is mainly on the trunkal area, making me look pregnant, my legs and arms are very slim in comparison. 

alot of big purple stretch marks on abdomen and waist, some on my sides under my arms, between my legs

VERY dark underarms and skin folds 

exessive hair everywhere!!!! 

muscular weakness and pain (mostly legs - thigh and knees) 

slight buffalo hump, my neck is pushed forwards

irregular and missed periods

fatigue - sleep more than 10 hours and still feeling tired

keep waking up at night 

back pain so I sleeping on my front 

neck pain

headaches (probably tension)

trouble concentrating 

mood swings 

acne and marks on my shoulders chest and back 

constantly sweating 

Also, I've had elevated blood sugar levels, and was prediabetic a few months ago and had taken metformin to help aid weight loss and to control my sugar levels, I probably lost 1-3 kg over those months (not a lot) along side going to the gym and eating healthy (even though I never really eat unhealthy). I couldn't be diagnosed with pcos as my blood tests and ultra sound didnt suggest I could have it. I also had low iron levels which I've fixed with medication (no longer using) but I'm still experiencing my symptoms, my abdomen is bigger than it's even been and I look like shreck sad (sounds funny I know) 

As for vision problems I wear glasses eye sight is always changing (getting worse). I've had bleeds in my eyes. My bp has been high a few times but not too high. 

Although I've listed a lot of symptoms, not all of these symptoms are known by my doctor because I'm not good at talking. And a lot of these symptoms I've adapted to since I've experienced them for more than 2 years, like stretch marks (which I've noticed getting worse and spreading up past my belly button) 

Id be very thankful for anybody's advice, my doctor referred me to a neurologist and I'm not sure how long that's going to take.  smile

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Dear Mush

The symptoms you relate here could more than possibly be Cushings. To be tested for Cushings you need 24 or 48 hour urine tests, blood tests, possibly dexamethasone suppression test. Try to make an appt with a endocrinologist. Gather pictures that show what you looked like before you had the symptoms and pictures of what you look like now. Lay them side by side to show the dr just what you are talking about.

Where do you live? Knowing your area we can try to give you a drs name that can be trusted in your area.

• Posted

Hi, thank you very much. I made an apt with my GP and I've taken a blood test to be tested for everything (I think) that I haven't been tested for (including cortisol check). And I'll send you a private message on where I live as I don't want to put it out into the internet :P thanks! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.