Should I be worried?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I am 65 years old and I am on blood thinners for some 16 years.

Recently, I made the decision to have a TURP after some instances where I could not urinate.

I had the surgery on September 3, 2015. The dr said everything went well. I did not have any pain. I requested that the catherter be taken out after one day which is what was told by my dr. However after surgery my dr said he was leaving it in thru the holiday weekend.

It was removed at my request and that was a mistake. By the following weekend I was in the ER getting a catherter.

In short I had 4 catheters with this surgery primarily because I was on blood thinners and healing takes longer than the average guy

getting this surgery.

This Thursday is six weeks. 

My concern is that my bladder irradiates me. I feel I have to urinate after I already went to the bathroom. The sensation was worse last week and I called my dr and he prescribed Pyridium which relieves the symptoms but does NOT heal the bladder.

The annoying feeling is less intense but I finish the medicine tomorrow night and I am nervous about how I will feel.

When I do go to the bathroom I urinate a lot better than before the operation.

I read that the bladder could take 3months or longer to completely heal.

I quess what is I am asking for is reassurance.

Are the symptoms I am having within the realm of what everyone else has experienced.

thanks for any help,

Frank

it 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Frank I'm sorry your having problem.  Why didn't you have another procedure that was less in down times.  I hope it works out for you.  That is one procedure they will never do on me. There are to many out there that would have done better. With you on blood thinners for that long the doctor should have said no because there is alot of bleeding  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

I'm sorry you had to go through this.

I have been dealing with retention do to my enlarged prostate. After being told TURP was my only option an doing my research on other options for BPH.

I have chosen to go the route of having the urolift done.

An if this don't help me or as time passes an I start having retention again, I still have other options later on down the line..

Hope things get better for you

• Posted

This was intended for Frank38045
    • Posted

Carl it's no problem it happen.  I had a uro-lift in April and all is great.  It's up to the doctor if he put a catheter in but it is best I had one for 2 days Did not have to worry about peeing. No cloging and urine was clear in 24 hours  It save time money and the pain of being catheter....Ken 
    • Posted

Yes I'm so glad I did my homework an looked for other options..

The one urologist said TURP was my only option. So anyone being told option TURP is their only option, ALWAYS look into other options.

I'm glad your doing OK with the urolift.

I'm scheduled for mine on the 23th.

And the surgeon did say I'd have a cath for 2-3 days, but that's better than self cathing like I've been doing for the past 2 weeks or not being able to pee normal...

Thanks

Take care

Carl

• Posted

That's good.  Yes having it put in after they put the implants in is much better You don't feel it going in. coming out is no problem.  Just relax after you have it done and drink alot of water..  Let me know how it goes.  If you would like to know anything else let me know..Ken
  • Posted

Frank, I had my TURP 3 weeks ago. It is just now that I am starting to feel normal. No blood in the urine at present, and the burning is subsiding. It is slow healing, but is steady.  I had my catheter in for almost a full week.  My urine flow has been great since then, but the uretha is still healing. Last week I felt bad and was wondering what have I done to myself, but now I realize I am healing as expected.  As my Urologist told me, expect pain and blood for up to 6 weeks or so.  Drink water, and lots of it. YOU will see a difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.