Should I be worried?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there;

I’ve bern feeling ill for a long time. It’s only when I went to the GP with a list of my symptoms (1 of which was pins & needles & numbness in hands & feet) that he gave me a blood test. My serum Ferritin came back at 628 & serum ALT at 55. 

More blood tests were done & some came back high: serum iron 49.1 , saturation iron binding capacity 69 (said its consistent with iron overload), serum ALT 39 , serum copper level 24 , serum total cholesterol level 5.4 & serum Ferritin 522 (slightly lower than 1st test).

I have been referred for MRI of my brain & full spinal cord, Ultra sound scan of my liver in 2 weeks & also referred to an haematologist but appointment is not for another 6 weeks.

I am feeling really ill.

DO I NEED TO BE WORRIED?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

Now you are being cared for your worries are less. If they said you have Genetic Haemochromatosis You can help by not eating anything that's fortified with iron, cereal, white flour, such as white bread, cake, biscuits, don't take vitimin c, including suppliments with iron in. Cut red meat black pudding and offal and do not drink alcohol or smoke. Diet can't stop iron overload but it will be a help until they have a plan. Unlike the vitimins in veg etc "fortified" delivers huge doses of iron and all white flour in uk by law is fortified. There are downloadable informations on the haemochromotosis society uk website that may put your mind at rest. Go and look .

I was diagnosed last June and took the steps I mentioned above to feel that I was doing something positive . I also have a pint of warm water with half a lemon every morning, lemon chelates iron and the water is important to rehydrate. These steps can only be good regardless of the results. You can eat wholemeal bread, white or brown rice, white fish, chicken or pork. Oats are not usually fortified, but read the packets just in case. Never drink alcohol with a meal or Orange juice as they gather any iron and push it into the liver. Most of all don't get stressed or to tired take some me time when you can . I am just a person attempting to put your mind at ease. I am not a doctor and can only say that this is what helped me. My sister was diagnosed in September and had to wait until January to begin treatment. She also watched her iron intake etc and began to feel somewhat better than she did in September. I hope this is helpful and gets you gaining control until you are seen. I wish you well try not to worry as it seems your Doctor is really on the ball. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Ellen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. 

My GP hasn’t done the genetic testing for Haemochromatosis. I noted on my blood results that it said “consistent with iron “. overload “ 

All my symptoms are definitely consistent with all I’ve read so far on Haemochromatosis. 

I’m feeling absolutely exhausted & stressed beyond words. My Dad died of liver cancer & it’s got us wondering if he actually had undiagnosed Haemochromatosis.

It’s not so much the disorder that worries me but more if I have any organ damage. The waiting for my tests & appointments is so stressful . Then the worry if my own children may have it.

Many thanks again x

• Posted

You are welcome, it is scary but take a deep breath and try hard to conserve your energy for when you know. Good luck and I wish you well. Once you get treated you  will improve. X 
  • Posted

Hi Samantha,

You will be okay when you get treatment. My levels were twice yours and I’m okay now. I realise it’s a scary time but I learned a lot from these forums. Don’t have raw or indeed any shellfish and learn about foods that block iron absorption.

• Posted

Hi Samantha, I'm new to this HH myself and find it interesting that you've had pins and needles and numbness as I've had the same in my hands and wrists. I also have pain in my neck and had an MRI myself but it came back with nothing wrong. My iron levels are not incredibly high at 370. I am also waiting to see a hematologist. Have had referral but doc said it could be 6 months before I see one.

• Posted

Hi Selina,

It’s a worrying time for us isn’t it but reading some of the comments & advice I’m getting on here is already easing the worry. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.