Should I be worried?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Went in for prolapsed Bladder, dr found Lg fibroid in back of uterus. Between 3 children and tumor uterus has pulled down Sm intestine and colon into my vaginal area.  Used mesh to put intestine and colon back in place also found 4 hernia’s.. umbilical and 3 Internal.. repaired those, hysterectomy (left ovaries), complete repair of all walls front, back, and sides and bladder sling.  Into end of 2nd week of recovery.. was in hospital 4 days (found out can’t take Percocet) packing came out little less than 24 hours after surgery (thank god, worse than giving birth with no meds) drain came out 3rd day,  they took it out 3rd day but too soon, went home with catheter, it came out exactly a week after surgery 3 days after going home.  Bleeding was light.. I wasn’t able to empty bladder completely but the majority was coming slowly.. showed me how to straight cath to empty morning and night until I was emptying completely.  Took about 4 days and now emptying completely! Bowel movements were very easy as they had me on Miralax and 2 Senekot -s  .. milk of mag etc .. I have actually backed off just so I’m not in bathroom every 30 mins .. I have figured out a general routine to keep my comfort at a tolerable level .. stand/walk for 10-15 mins (less than 5 first 9 or so days) sit for hour or til it’s uncomfortable, lay down an hour.. then repeat.. very tired first week and half.. most comfortable to lay flat or in side ..  so slept a lot.. my question is after catheter was removed I noticed my bleeding increased a little each day.  Tonight I noticed I have a bulge (feels like a hard round ball) between my rectum and vagina.  I can feel stitches on edge .. have noticed some burning or itching randomly.. at my post op check yesterday he said everything looked great. Don’t know if bulge was there as I just felt it today.. he said  I was still very swollen internally and in vaginal area but that is to be expected considering the amount of damage and repair he had to do.  He scheduled me to come back in 4 weeks. Should I call and ask about bulge.. worried that straining to empty my bladder or just sitting on toilet for longer than usual (could feel it pulling at times) has busted something and messed up a repair, maybe that’s why my bleeding has increased.  Figured I was bleeding more cause swelling was going down and letting more of it flow but now not so sure? Anyone have their repair rip or tear during recovery, did u know? What did they do to fix it.. really don’t want to do any of it over! Should I be worried? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sara sorry to hear all that you've been through,I had three major operations in three weeks,on my bladder and bowel,I'm a few years on from my operations,but find even now standing for long periods of time,constipation,even if my urine is a bit strong I tend to feel discomfort and swelling,doctors assure me that every thing is fine,I've been trying to find answers,no one seem to have any,I also had a hysterectomy when I was 34,all the other problems followed that. I do hope you get the answers your looking for.

• Posted

feel so sorry for you with all the problems after your op .just had anterior op .the packing being removed was the best relief ever it was very uncomfortable .the catheter was great so you dont have to get up through the night .i was bit afraid of emptying my bowels incase i broke open stitches , i felt like my prolapse had dropped when i walked there was and still is inside slight swelling  after 7 weeks but im now starting to feel like there not so much a drop and just bit of swelling .i was told the bulge was swelling around the scar tissue but your case may be different ,speedy recovery for all your problems .i was told plenty of rest even thou i was bored stiff i know they were right 
  • Posted

Second week of recovery is very early days and many ladies remark on a ‘bobble’ at the entrance to the vagina after surgery. You would have to strain very hard to cause stitches to rupture at the stage. I’m afraid that it’s just a case of rest, rest, and patience for first weeks. Considering all you have had done your recovery seems pretty standard. There is a lot of swelling especially after walking. This reduces in time. It takes many weeks to get back to normal. Most of us have panicked more than once on our recovery road so try not to worry and rest. You will feel better soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.