Should i be worried

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been drinking pretty heavily. My last blood test about a year ago showed my liver enzymes up. What does that mean? My main concern is that I need foot

Surgery this June and they have to take blood and check my levels! I'm I at danger of having my foot surgery denied? Tell me what to do!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

'What does that mean?' It means your liver is working hard to process the alcohol, i.e. it is complaining.

' I'm I at danger of having my foot surgery denied?' Unlikely unless you were an alcoholic and your platelets were low, causing a problem with the blood clotting after surgery.

• Posted

No one ever expects to end up in the hospital with liver problems or if you can meet the qualifications to be on a waiting list for a liver transplant. Every day 500 patients die waiting for a liver transplant. So sick some have to have their bellies drained from 3-7 liters of fluid a week. This is generally due to, too much ammonia in the body since the liver has shut down and toxins are in the body. There are 100's of diseases caused by alcohol abuse.

Your liver can have a difficult time processing alcohol, especially if you drink a lot regularly – the liver processes alcohol like a toxin because it can have toxic effects on your liver. Excessive drinking and alcohol abuse can severely damage your liver beyond repair. Alcohol Abuse and as little as three drinks at one time combined with medication like acetaminophen can be toxic to the liver. The bottom line is, alcohol can have severe negative effects on the liver and cutting it out of your diet can help lower liver enzymes. The choice is yours see the many guide line on the alcohol forum on how to cut down on toxic alcohol and give your liver a break.

You only have one liver! Just as you only have one heart ?? 👍Take care of it! You have other people in your life who love and need you. This is so frustrating and many ask this question knowing the truth . 

Can you find a way to cut down your daily intake ??? Your liver will love ? YOU 

• Posted

I wouldnt deem to tell you what you should do because only you can make that decision, but as you have taken the time to log on here you obviously know the answer, good luck and I hope if it goes forward I hope foot op goes well

God bless

• Posted

What are your alp ast and alt levels? I would cut the drinking. At least till your liver enzymes return to normal. Could take weeks. I had blood work in December and my alp was 141 and alt 52. So I went without drinking for 3 months and alt went down to 22. But my alp a mere 131. I'm obese so that can be factor for high alp but I'm losing weight. Doctor says not to worry too much. It's different with everyone. Alt is more liver specific.

• Posted

ALT and AST are enymies of the liver. 

ALT of 52 is normal. 

What is your ST ? 

• Posted

Hi my ASTWas 78 on ny results for overall it said no further action I thought great we are able to see our notes on line then the next day a phone call from gp she would like me to have a liver scan for what I don't know and don't want the scan I'm l being silly

• Posted

If you are in the UK, it will be an ultrasound or if in the US, more likely  to be a CT/MRI scan.

Never turn down a scan, it is the only way to confirm your liver condition. It doesn't take long and you don't feel anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.