Should I be worried

Posted , 8 users are following.

I don't go mad with alcohol (like you've not heard that before).sometimes I can polish off a bottle of wine the day I am due to start a night shift. Which I've just done while I cook tea for the family.My wife mentions the drink but never nsgs about it .I enjoy having a drink both socially and while I'm cooking I don't drink on my own tho. J IST SOME THOUGHTS ON MY DRINKING THAT'S ALL THANKS

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Ideally you need to cut down.

Government recommends less than 14 units a week and no more than 6 units a day.

If you drink a whole bottle of wine - that's 7/8 units.

This probably wont harm you. But you categorically don't want ALD - its horrendous. So any cut down you can make will reduce your chances.

• Posted

Hi Jim,

Is the alcohol consumption interfering with your marriage, other personal relationships, work, or your health?

If it is, you are definitely drinking too much. I can see a problem with drinking a bottle of wine, then going to work. Are you driving to work after drinking that much alcohol? If you are, you better re-think your choices with alcohol. Nobody has the right to put other's lives at risk by drinking and driving. I am pretty sure you know this, though a lot of people fail to note that they should not drive after they have had too many, as alcohol clouds our judgement.

I was drinking upwards of 24 beers in one sitting, at least once a week, trying to quell a chronic pain condition. In my thinking, my drinking had no negative fallout. I thought wrong. As it turns out, I was ignoring that my wife and daughter were telling me that they didn't want me drunk around them. I clearly wasn't listening until it was putting a real strain on my marriage. As a result, I have put the brakes on my overdrinking. At present, I have chosen not to drink anything, as with me, one drink just doesn't do it. I need to get drunk when drinking, which is indicative of a drinking problem. My marriage and family life is intact, which I am grateful for.

Personally, I don't believe drinking a bottle of wine in one sitting is a huge health risk, as long as it is not a regular occurrence. I'm pretty sure that I will get a lot of people who will disagree with that assertion. I don't think that is the issue here anyways. It is more, how it affects your relationships and occupation. From what you wrote I definitely would reevaluate the impact alcohol is having in your everyday life. I don't think you would have posted the circumstances of your drinking as you did, if you didn't believe there was at least a potential problem. Am I correct with that assumption?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.