Should I be worried

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I went for routine eye exam in specsavers and was told I have a growth behind my left eye that wasent there at my last exam 2yrs ago. I have been referred as urgent to hospital. Was told growth can be clearly seen. I Get pressure headaches from my eyes although my prescription has gotten alot stronger i only needed reading glasses now i need stronger reading driving and long distance trifacols. Waiting list is 6-8 weeks for urgent referral. Should I go private. Im really sick with nerves and google only makes it worse. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I just did a search for the three words - growth behind eye - and it turned up a lot of different links with different possibilities of what it could be (most very serious), so you need to have a doctor look at it. I would say to definitely go private and have it looked at immediately.
  • Posted

Can you see your GP? I live in the US, but I just looked it up and it said if your GP says it could possibly be cancer, your wait time is only 2 weeks.
  • Posted

Are u in uk. In my area we have dedicated eye emergency clinic where you get sern in a couple of hours
  • Posted

Ok folks readind your response is freaking me out even more. I live in Northern Ireland. Im 44 but my parents have offered to pay private to set all our minds at rest.  Am I right in saying this first hospital appt will just tell me if I need further tests? So would I not be better waiting to go private if further tests are required? Thanks for your help and support. 
    • Posted

I'm not sure exactly how your health system works in Ireland, but I would think if you have an emergency you wouldn't have to wait the usual amount of time (and I would think having a growth behind your eye checked would be considered an emergency). If you don't know exactly how to get an appointment quicker, you can call your GP and ask or try to look up the info online.

When you said this "So would I not be better waiting to go private if further tests are required?" what did you mean exactly?

• Posted

Forgot to ask should I go to my GP while im waiting for hospital appt. Wouldent the Optician know better than GP?
  • Posted

The reason for going to your GP would be to get a referral for an emergency so you can be seen quickly.
  • Posted

Why not get a copy of whatever Specsavers have said. Either from them or your GP. It may be something quite ordinary,and your optician is doing exactly right by referring you to an ophthalmologist. At least you will know exactly what has been said...and how it has been described.  The ophthalmologist will decide on the length of time to your first appt and if it is possibly cancerous you should get an appt within 2 weeks. 

Dont forget that Private treatment can run into thousands once you start to take into account tests and procedures.

Are you near Belfast? Your doctor could refer you to the Emergency eye care there[Royal Victoria]

if he/she thinks its necessary.

• Posted

Well the Optrition called yesterday. Im getting seen in Altanagavan  Hospital next week and I asked what exactly did he see. I have a hole in my retena and something to do with pigmentation. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the update. Not sure why he said there's a growth there, since a hole in your retina isn't a growth (you must have a hole in your macula which is part of the retina - I think they usually treat it with a vitrectomy). There's a group on here called "Macular Disorders including ARMD" if you want to read some of those posts.

• Posted

Also, I found this info (I'm not entirely sure if a hole in the retina is considered the same as a macular hole):

Question:

My boyfriend has just been told that he has a hole in his retina. He is 18 years old and his job requires him to be in front of a computer all day. Can this be making it worse and also is there any treatment that doesn't involve surgery? If he does have surgery, what can go wrong?

"Many patients have retinal holes associated with a condition called lattice vitreoretinal degeneration, or thinning of the retina. If the patient is asymptomatic, most studies have suggested that it is safe to observe the retinal hole without any treatment. By asymptomatic, we mean that the patient is not experiencing any new symptoms of floaters, cobwebs, shadows, or flashing lights.

However, if the patient is symptomatic, then we seal the retinal hole using a "welding" technique with a laser. The laser surgery is done on an outpatient basis and is successful in a very high percentage of circumstances. Rarely, the retinal hole will enlarge and lead to a retinal detachment in spite of, but not as a result of, the laser surgery. There are cases where the patient can develop some scar tissue on the central retina—the macula—which can result in distorted central vision.

Sitting in front of a computer does not make it worse. The laser surgery is of very low risk in general—especially if the patient follows instructions and remains relatively still during the few minutes it takes to seal the hole."

• Posted

A pigmentation issue could be what they call a "mole" on your retina.   Quite often these appear for no obvious reason,like a mole on your skin. It may be just a question of monitoring the mole by photograph each year to make sure it does not grow. Let us know how you get on with your consultation.

• Posted

Thanks for info. Ill update once I find out more. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.