Should I come of PPI's, if so.. How?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I have had Acid Reflux/Gastris (not sure which one, or could be both) for around 2 years now.

I have been on and off PPI's for arond a year and I'm really hoping to come off these drugs ASAP as I have heard nothing but bad reviews on them.

Question 1: Am I ready to come of them?

I haven't had an ounce of heartburn, and I mean not even once, for the past 8 months. The only problem I seem to have, is that I get stomach cramps most days in my upper abdominal area. It's like a dull ache I feel is realived by putting preasure on it or eating something. It also is realived by having DGL licorice.

So what is the stomach pain I am getting, does that mean I am not ready to come off the PPI's yet?

Question 2:

I am hoping to come off them, even if I am not ready too, providing that I get don't advised it is a bad idea on here. So if I was to come off them, what would be the best approach to this? I am thinking of maybe lowering my dosage from 30mg to 15mg for a further 2 weeks, then hopfully lowering it again even smaller after that (if they have smaller dosages - Lansoprazole). I have also heard that taking a H2 block at night may help too once I come off them.

Every time I have tried to stop coming off my PPI's in the past, I have had a rebound and ran back to the PPI's thinking that my problem has came back, but only recently I realised you can have a Rebound when you come of them,  so I feel stupid for running back to them. That is why this time, I wan't to do it correcly.

PS, I am in my mid 20s, currently taking 30mg Lansoprazole. I am taking DGL licorice,  Acidophilus tablets, slippery elm and a very bald diet.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

So, the mission has started to come of the PPI's.

Today I have lowered my Lansoprazole from 30mg to 15mg. I have just now, started the feel a little sickness, like it's coming from my stomach. I'm also feeling a little drowsy, sicky & very slightly shaky, just like something is not right?

It is not enough to bother me, but I am just worried I am going to get worse and be how I used to be : (.

Any of these symptoms part of the rebound? I know I haven't fully stopped but I think my stomach could be reacting to the change of dosage?

I just wanted a little support, and some advice if anyone can help me how to get through this : )

• Posted

A lot of the things you are experiencing can be in your head. I used Rinitidine (H2 blocker OTC) and DGL to tell my brain that all is OK. Once you get into the second week you will be OK. Sraying on DGL for a month will deal with rebound as it lines the stomach. You need six a day. You'll be OK! 
  • Posted

Hi I have been taking PPI's for 8+ years now, no side effects, I often think about coming off them as like you I do not get acid or reflux until I miss a day then it starts again, I have weened myself off 40mg and down to 20mg per day at my GP's recommendation. If I need anything else I top up with ranitidine which are a bit easier on my stomach, I can have 300mg of this per day, this might be better for you are they are OTC drugs. I have recently started like you the pain in top of stomach in area where ribs part (not sure what it is called) in middle of chest. all my GP say's is that's tender isn't it, but offers no ideas as to what is causing it which is a bit worrying. I am not sure if is GERD related or stomach problems, but have an ultrasound of abdomen this week so will see. Hopefully you will be able to get off the PPI's if that it what you want, but I have never been successful and to be honest there are worse tablets for me to avoid like ibprofen which kill my stomach. Good luck
  • Posted

Just an update here of my progress so far. (Tapering of PPIs)

SO FAR:

1. My original dosage was 30mg Lansoprazole before the tapering.

2. I then dropped down to 15mg of Lansoprazole and took this for 4 weeks.

3. I am now starting to take 15mg Lansoprazole every other day, and taking 15mg Ranitidine inbetween the days I am not taking Lansoprazole. I will be doing this step for 3 weeks.

MY PLAN NEXT: 

4. Take Ranitidine every day, for 3 weeks.

5. Take Ranitidine every other day, for 3 weeks.

All the above steps will be taken one after the other in order.

Does this all sound OK? So far I have still had no heartburn AT ALL, and the stomach pains I used to get when I was taking 30mg Lansoprazole, I no longer get anymore biggrin. This makes me think my dosage my too high, or the PPIs have been causing the problems all this time. 

• Posted

Bump, Anyone? Does my tapering sound ok? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.