Should I continue to Pursue with Doctor?

Posted , 5 users are following.

HI, I was diagnosed with a goiter when I was 12.  This was confirmed via all the normal hosptial tests.  I am now 40.  I have always had some symptoms but recently these have increase substantially.  My latest TSH result was 4.097 but my doctor  is classifying this as normal despite all the symptoms I am getting the leg cramps at night and the crippling tiredness.  Recently despite dieting (through Slimming World) I am constantly putting on weight.  GP says my Thyroid is 'Sluggish' but not 'sluggish' enough for any medication.  The symptoms are becoming crippling now,any suggestions?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi sookie".my latest tsh result was 4.29 and my doctor has just put my thyroxine up to 75mcg . I would try to see another doctor if I was you. What were your t4 andt3 results like...?
    • Posted

Thanks Sleepo - It was the receptionist that gave me the results she didn't give me T3 or T4 Levels.  Will call on Monday to see.  Thanks for the info on your levels it is horrible when your doctor doesn't take you seriously.
  • Posted

Hi Sookie

Change your doctor ASAP!

If you lived in the USA you would be on thyroxine at those low levels!

Borderline Hypothyroidism is hell to deal with..I know I have been there!

It is absolutely shocking that given your history of thyroid poblems from 

a young age that you are not receiving the proper treatment!

Do you have any other symptoms, write a long list of the problems

you are having giving as much history as possible then go and see another

GP straight away, don't hang about because hypothyriodism causes many

problems heart palpitations, inability to control body temperature, fluid

retention etc.

Good Luck and hope you get some better quality help!

Ask the GP Receptionist who is the best GP in the practice!!

• Posted

change your doctor right away! nothing worse than knowing something is wrong but the doc says no!
  • Posted

I am 69 now & like you went through years of being undertreated because my levels were NORMAL.After 9 years of constant pain the Dr gave me Levothyroxine but it didnt help even thogh the Dr said my symptoms were not to do with Thyroid .He had me on endless painkillers which did nothing at all  to help,I had X-rays on knees ,neck,hips,operation for carpel tunnel on both wrists,another for drooping eyelids all classic signs of hypothyroid but no-one saw the connection,they even sent me to a councellor because I complained of not being able to lose weight after 2 years at Slimming World & 1 at Weight Watchers.I now self medicate & feel 100% better no aches & pains & have lost some weight, not as much as I would like but some.I got sent to an Endocrinologist last month who told me the tablets I take would not help my knees but I stood my ground.She will not prescribe them but says she does'nt mind me taking them.
  • Posted

Change Doctors get a second opinion. I had to change Doctors and I really didnt want to as I had been with my Dr since I was a baby. Do what is right for your own health.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.