should i do retinal tear laser photocoagulation?

Posted , 2 users are following.

the doctor saw retinal tears in both of my eyes. he said i have the tears for many years and told me to have them lasered not longer than 1 week. i read this post to see side effects. https://patient.info/forums/discuss/white-flickering-light-after-laser-for-retinal-tear-516808

i asked my friends who have eye floaters, they said it's devastating, blocking their sight every time they open their eyes. some of them even contemplate committing suicide. is it worth it or should i have my retinal tears monitored every year instead?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If you have retinal tears as your eye doctor has suggested then you must have noticed some deterioration of your sight .A visual field scan would show up where these areas of tears are situated on the retina.

A competent eye doctor should show you on the print out of the scanner exactly where the flaws in vision are.If this hasnt been done you should ask to see the printouts.

If you havent experienced any deterioration or blind spots or waviness in vision then I suggest you see another ophthalmologist for another opinion.

Look at a printed page with one eye shut....can you see any blind spots, blotchiness or waviness?Do the same with the other eye.....any blind spots or waviness?That should give you a good idea where on the retinas these tears are.

• Posted

the area are on top of the back of my eyes. my sight is the same, no blind spots or waviness but i see subretinal fluid in the tears. the doctor said if they progresses to retinal detachment i have to do both surgery and laser.

• Posted

Lizzit it is very difficult to advise anyone on what to do regarding their eye health. Eyes are so precious and cant be replaced. If you are in UK I would say go with the recommendations but I think you are probably paying for your eye care and treatment.

The tears may be in the very early stages and so photocoagulaton therapy may stop any further deterioration.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.