Should i drop or come off completely?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there,

Been on Mirtazapine for approx 5 months. Been tapering from 30mg. Down to 7.5mg for a week. Going to stay on 7.5mg for a further week. Should i come straight off the Mirtazapine? Or should i drop it down to 3.75mg? Don't want to lengthen the withdrawal process any longer than i need to, but want to limit the withdrawals symptoms the best i can. Any advice appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

With experiences on this site it will be safe to drop down to 3.75mg before you eventually stop.

• Posted

Please please please drop to 3.5mg I went cold turkey off 7.5mg the other week and it was hell! I was having severe panic attacks and anxiety I'm was crying...I did not want to live! That was only 6 days of no mirtazipine and I've been back on them for 2 weeks and I'm still having all the symptoms! Take your time to come off them...I use to read stories on mirtazipine and thought it would be easy to come off it, but was sheer hell! I wish I hadn't even touched the drug it was only good for sleep and making me eat 10 packs of biscuits in one go lol

..good luck ?

• Posted

Yes i will drop to 3.75mg for a couple of weeks. Also taking 40mg Paroxetine.
    • Posted

Sorry you went through that, Pamela :-(  Yes, folks need to take this tapering seriously and not rush it, because Mirt is notorious for not working on reinstatement, and the withdrawal is hell, don't want to be stuck in that place if you can avoid it with smaller cutting and waiting longer between cuts.  It takes a minimum of three weeks for the nervous system to respond to a cut of 10% without withdrawal, so bigger cuts require longer holds between to allow the nervous system to heal.  Think of the drug as a trellis the nervous system has grown upon; you wouldn't yank the trellis out from under a vine that grew on it and expect the vine to stand up on it's own!  I hope your nervous system gets caught up soon, Pamela.  Hang in there and be patient with yourself and the process of healing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.