Should I even bother?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have the chance to finally go through my shattered past but don't feel confident enough to do this now, giving that I'll have to start again. Where do I start and how, had some counselling before but clearly wasn't enough. Please help I'm 44 and still scared!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

First thing i would say is that psychotherapy is more effective than councelling.  Couunelling has its place, it can be quite supportive - but its generally more of a conversation than anything too indepth, so if you can - opt for proper therapy.  Other than that, anything you say to either will be confidential, theres no judgement and you only need tell them what you want.  If you feel you dont want to talk to them, then theres really no point in going, itll only waste your time and theirs - they can help if you let them, but you have to open up first
  • Posted

Only you can decide if you think/feel it is right for you, but I thought the whole point of going through this was to get yourself into a Better place so that you can progress adoption?

If you decide not to go ahead, and then get removed from their list. If in 6 months, you then decide that you feel ready, how long will you then have to wait to start? It's taken a long time for you to reach this point. You have shown a get deal of resilience and strength of character so far, which is an inspiration to other people going through similar. This is the last hurdle to get over, there is never gonna be a right time, but you are a strong woman with an end goal in mind. Don't give up the fight xx

• Posted

Hi ladies, I agree with needing support, I have found a counsellor who deals with PTSD. My problem is someone has thrown a spanner in the works and now says I can't adopt or foster as I have ibs, but wasn't told this when we first found out. Why do I bother fighting for anything all my fight has now gone. Just write I was raped on my head , then I WILL need help won't I? Bern judged again WITHOUT any proof! Why not let me physicallt HANDLE a child and let people see how much love I have to give. Why should I JUST be a rape victim? I DON'T want to be? Now just sad. Truly.

• Posted

Why would ibs preclude you from adopting or fostering? It would make zero difference, like.saying you can't adopt if you had broken your leg once 10 years ago, totally irrelevant

• Posted

I agree I think I've been put off by them for some reason but don't get why. Just gutted.

• Posted

I now luckily have an update, a friend of mine at county hall, who has been througj the same thing and she is going to try to find some more information out for me. It's given me a little more hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.