Should I get a fusion?

Posted , 5 users are following.

49 Year old Male with stage II to III HR in my left foot. 

Ive heard some people and doctors say that the loss in ROM after a fusion doesn't inhibit activities for the most part. My toe is stiff and barely moves already, and there is nagging pain. With the fusion, it would still be stiffer, but there wouldn't be any pain which would free me up to do the activities I've had to give up (jogging, tennis, etc).

What I've read/heard/been told is that:

Cheilectomy has mixed results. Patients often need a fusion down the road anyway.

Cartiva still has mixed results and is unproven long-term.

Fusion has the most positive results and patient satisfaction.

My only concern about a fusion is causing a problem with other toe joints due to a transfer in pressure.

Would love to hear your experiences or opinions.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a fusion of my big toe, worst thing I ever did. I am in worse pain now than I was before and it has brought on so many other issues. Hope you get sorted. 
    • Posted

That I need to have a spinal cord stimulator fitted. An that I now have CRPS.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that. Can you tell me what type of pain you are having? Back pain? Knee pain? Or pain in your other toes? Pain on the MTP at the point of surgery?

Most people have positive comments after fusion, but I'm definitely interested in hearing about the ones that didn't go well too. Hope you get some relief.

• Posted

Since the fusion, I have had a limp and multiple breaks in my foot due to the weakening of the bones. So the limp has now caused me issues in my knee, hip and lower back. I get horrible pain around the fusion, I have asked for them to take the metal work out and they won’t. 
    • Posted

Oh, sorry to hear that. Was the weak and broken bones in the foot due to the toe fusion? 

I feel like a already limp a bit due to the HR, but I definitely don't want to make it worse. I hope the fusion (if I do it) will improve my foot, not make it worse.

• Posted

The weak bones are due to all the surgeries. I have had 3 in my foot including the fusion. Seems like most people have been ok with it though. Good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.