Should I get a second opinion?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been under the care of a neurologist for about two months for numbness/tingling and pain in my legs and dizziness.  To see if the cause would be a dyeliminating disease, I've had a spine and brain MRI and have an EMG scheduled in two weeks.  My spine MRI came back normal and they said my brain MRI was normal as well, but on the test results paper work it mentioned "Low-lying cerebellar tonsils, but not quite criterion of Chiari I

malformation." and "There are low-lying cerebellar tonsils. They are approaching 5 mm below foramen magnum. However, they do maintain a rounded configuration, they are not peglike."

I had never heard of Chiari Malformation but after doing some research, finding matching symptoms, and looking at criteria for diagnosis it would seem that this is worth pursuing and looking into more.  I e-mailed my doctor and he said that linking my symptoms to Chiari would controversial and that my cerebellar tonsils are not low enough to mean anything.

Is he right and I am overreacting?  Or should I look into getting a second opinion? 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Dear Morgan,

First of all I am sorry to hear about your symptom, it is not a very nice defect in our anatomy - as far as my understanding it is not about the measurement of the tonsil but it is whether its obstructed or not and getting a better flow - you might need to have second opinion if you are living in the UK getting a call to Ann Conroy Trust would be helpful - in my opinion talking to so many chiarian..the longer they leave it the worst it get - I hope you get more response, but if I were you ..I will listen to to my body , take it easy and be firm and persuasive to get help from them show them some information you get from this site.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.