Should I get a second opinion regarding my ovarian cyst?

Posted , 2 users are following.

This is going to be a long one. Apologies in advance. :-)

I had myomectomy on June 6 2013. They removed 4 fibroids the size of oranges. I had simple cysts here and there that went away on their own. Around a year and a half after the surgery, I was having very sharp pain on my left side that moved to my hip and lower back. I figured it was scar tissue or me exerting myself too much so I left it alone. I had my checkup, told my doctor what was going on and had an ultrasound done. I had a 1.8 cm complex cyst on my left ovary. He said they will monitor it and see if it goes away. Every check up was the same and i was told to wait it out. At the end of April of this year it was still 1.8 cm. Over the time leading up to that appointment, my left side was so excruciating I was talking way too much ibuprofen then I usually would. I couldn't sleep at all on my left side or stomach, I still can't today. The pain moves from my left to my right all day everyday. On July 22nd of this year, I went to the ER because of the pain. They found a 7x7x6 cm cyst on my left ovary and recommended that I follow up with my gynecologist as soon as possible. I did. I went to my appointment and had a transvaginal ultra sound done. She found the big cyst along with several other cysts on my left ovary. She can't tell how many others there are. She also said my right ovary is shaped funny. That it looked abnormal and is the main cause of my issues. She said she doesn't want to go into surgery just yet. She wants to see if the cysts will go away on their own or shrink. She said I need to see her every 3 weeks which concerns me very much. My cyst went from 1.8 to almost 8 cm in less than four months?! I have my next appointment with her this Thursday and I'm afraid she'll make me wait another 3 weeks. I can't sit through another 3 weeks. The pain is getting worse and worse everyday. I can't exercise properly. Abominal exercises are a no-no. I can barely stand for long periods of time at my job. I'm a cashier. I am overweight but have changed my eating habits completely. The only thing I can't really do is exercise. I can walk. That's it. It makes me sad because I love to workout and be outside. I'm so fatigued and I feel sick to my stomach all the time. What scares me the most is that the fibroids that were removed were atypical. My surgeon was concerned but thankfully they weren't cancerous. I really need to know what's going on with my ovaries and I'm getting tired of the waiting game. I don't want this to end up turning bad the longer these cysts are inside my body. I'm only 26, i want to keep my ovaries. Should I talk to someone else who will actually listen and do something other than waiting and ultrasounds? I don't want to be paranoid but given my history, this concerns me. What should I do?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Don't take no for an answer please get them to remove the cysts .. I had an operation in April to remove what they thought was a dermoid cyst they removed my left ovary and tube and in may I found out I have a rare ovarian small cell carcinoma cancer .. They had put me on microgynon pill in January but I was in so much pain left and right ... good luck .find me on face book if u need . Amy womble the pic with sand
    • Posted

Wow! I'm sorry about that. Are you fully recovered?

My doctors pretty much blame my weight. My gyno who did my myomectomy didn't believe me about my pain. The one person I trusted. He told me to lose 20 pounds and come back in two months. I was mortified! Now my cyst is bigger and I feel none will listen. :-(

• Posted

Thankyou no I have so far had 3 rounds of chemo and lost my hair now .. b4 I was fobbed off docs kept telling me it was ibs. . I have 3 more chemo to have and they cannot garentee it will be cured it has totally turned our lives upside down. . I'm 37 and have 3 kids
    • Posted

I meant to say how are you recovering? Lol. I type like I talk sometimes. :-)
    • Posted

Awww. That's terrible. We know our body better than anyone and for them to pass it off as ibs... That's insane! I hope it goes away completely. You're a strong lady. I wouldn't be able to handle that so well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.