Should I get bunion surgery?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have always had bunions. I am 20 years old and I believe my bunions are genetic. I hate them and feel like they are getting bigger. I can never wear sandals or revealing shoes because of this but currently they do not hurt. I would love to have them removed, but I do not want unbareable pain and damage to occur after surgery. Can you all share your experiences and advice with me please.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Anna, I just had a bunion operation and now in my 8th weeks.  I have gone back to work although i have to walk slowly to begin with in my sandals (FitFlop).

I am 60 years old and regretted that I had not done mine earlier as I was fearful of the pain.  The healing process takes longer as we aged especially when our bones are affected.

My recommendation to you, if your bunions are getting bigger and unsightly to have them removed.  You will be given painkillers to survive on which makes the healing process painless.  I was off painkillers on the third day after operation.  Now with the advance in medical technology, you dont have to worry about complication.

All the best!

• Posted

Good morning = Anna have I missed where you have told us whereabouts you are?  (If you have I could either blame my age or the 'recovery head' so more choiceswink)

Because by now we all know here in England we have two choices National Health Service (where we do not pay for our surgery) or Private Hospitals whereby the operation is paid for through insurance or from our own pocket.  If I have got this wrong I know someone will guide me in the right direction. Note: Joanne76164 I think this answers your questions on NHS.

So by now with all the helpful advice you can see choosing how and where you have your operation (within what is available to you) is just the start of your ;journey' before the road to recovery if you go ahead with the operation.  I think you are doing the right thing by getting as much info as possible before making a decision.

As I said keyhole sounds great - but here in England I think it has been said not available on NHS at present.  Who knows when it will become a choice and things change all the time.  

Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Anna. Like you, I've always had bunions (since childhood), inherited from my Mum and partly made worse in my teens through wearing high heels and wrong typeof shoes. I always thought in my younger days that my bunions wouldn't get any worse whatever shoes I wore as I imagined my bones in the feet would stay the same and I didn't suffer any real pain. Now I'm in my 60s and after putting off surgery for years, am now on the waiting list to have extensive foot surgery on bunion and two other toes damaged by the bunion. I wish I'd gone for surgery 20 years ago as now my left foot is so damaged and painful that my consultant says that surgery is essential as it will get to the stage where nothing can be done.  I'm very apprehensive as I've read and heard so many horrendous stories about such ops, but I think the long term problems of not having surgery will be worse.  As you are so young, it would be good to seriously consider surgery (I wish I had). You don't want to end up in years to come with painful feet. I'm very encouraged by all these positive posts in reply to you. Let us know what you decide and hopefully, sometime soon, I'll have a positive story to tell. Would be good to read even more encouraging posts on this subject.
    • Posted

Like you, Margaret, in my 60's. Good advice you gave to Anna. ( I told her basically the same thing.)

I'm glad I went ahead with the surgery to correct the bunion and one other toe.

Hope you are off the waiting list soon and on to recovery.

Joanne

• Posted

Hi Anna

I'm 27 years old and I had bunions since I was about 12. They got worse as u grew and my confidence was effected big time. I was so self concious. Like you have just said I was never able to wear sandles except ones with straps covering the whole of my foot. No flipflop either. I wouldnt go barefoot on public. I would only wear busy patterned socks, never white or black plain socks. It literally made me so upset to have to think about anything to do with my feet.

13 days ago I has a scalf osteotomy on both of my feet. I wanted them both done at the same time so it would only be one healing process. I was super scared and nervous as I had heard the pain would be horrendous. I can honestly say the pain hasn't been as bad as I thought. If you follow the advice and keep your feet elevated the majority of the time-only put them down to go to the toilet. Your swelling will be minimal therefore the pain won't be as bad. Yes they did throb the first week but that's to be expected. I thought I was going to be in excruciating pain I thought I would be crying and screaming but no. I still can't believe it. I took regular painkillers for the first 2 days then after that just tool them at night. I'm just waiting for my appointment to have a wound check nect week and I cannot wait to see my feet.

Any other questions just ask

J x

• Posted

I am 54, and I just had the bunion surgery 4 days ago.  I am very surprised that I did not need pain meds after the second day.  I think the key is finding a Dr who does this surgery often.  I have heard horror stories about this surgery, and I was petrified to have it, but am so glad I did!  I went to a podiatrist who had a great reputation, and I have been very pleased so far.  The key to healing is stay off of it for the first 3-5 days.  One thing I have heard is that it MAY come back if you are young.  Make sure you find out more info on that before you have the surgery.  Good luck and I agree to have it while you are young.  The healing process is much quicker.  
  • Posted

Hi, I am 41 tomorrow & have a complete mare finding shoes to fit. I am slim with tiny ankles but feet like a ducks. I have bunions & also tailors bunions on both feet. I mostly live in trainers and flats but finding suitable footwear for my age group is getting harder.

I was told by podiatrist I wouldn't be able to wear heels again if i had surgery. But perhaps this is wrong? I have some stiffness but not real pain in my feet. Should I consider surgery? I am miserable by the choice of footwear & years ahead of wearing naf shoes but frightened of messing with my feet in case it doesn't work /makes it worse. Any recommendations for a good surgeon in Surrey/Berkshire borders to find out more? Thanks in advance everyone.

• Posted

Hi Louie 

I’m 35 and have had bunions since my late teens-definitely genetic 😐

I had surgery on Saturday on both feet so I’m day 3 post op!!!!

It’s early for me to comment too much but the operation was over before I blinked and didn’t feel any pain until day 2! Today the pain is much better as yesterday was unbearable for me...

I used dr Dirk Nowak 

European Foot Institute 

He uses a new technique 

Minimally invasive and you don’t end up with any screws in your foot either.

And he said I can wear heals after 8 weeks! 

I walked out the clinic 1 hour after the operation on both feet!!!! 

Brilliant surgeon and fantastic after care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.