Should I Get Checked Out, or Am I Overreacting?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Apologies in advance. This is a little long:

I’m an 18 year old female. I’ve been sick with an array of symptoms and the doctors have yet to figure them out. Here they are:

-rashes after being in the sun (no burns)

-systemic reactions to foods, but allergy tests are negative

-small infections on my hands (look like zits)

-chronic tightness in chest for over a year

-widespread abdominal pain when I eat (particularly near the top)

-bone pain


-bones feel out of place

-tendons get tight

-muscle weakness


-poor circulation

-skin tender to touch

-strange pain in upper mid-left chest

That’s pretty much it. I have asthma, a systemic nickel allergy, signs of celiac disease, and a vitamin D deficiency that I can’t seem to get under control. Since I’ve heard that these ailments may somehow be related to lupus, I wanted to make sure that my strange symptoms are not related to that. I figure that if I had lupus, it would be obvious, but I’m still a little worried. Should I go into the doctor just to make sure, or am I simply overreacting?

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    Did you see a rheumatologist?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      No, my primary care doctor has just been exploring one symptom at a time rather than looking at the big picture, so I’ve been stuck there. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      My rheumatologist asked me to do ANA and ENA profile tests and that’s how they diagnosed that my condition might be Lupus. I too have skin allergy,  irritable bowl, tightness in chest on and off and severe body/ joint pains. My fatigue levels and most of the symptoms have come down after medication. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I was going to ask if you have been referred on to a specialist but see in your reply the doctor hasn't. It's the sticking point of the treat one/two symptoms at a time when the condition is systemic. Given your symptoms the doctor could refer you to a cardiologist, a neurologist, a rheumatologist for starters yet they are reluctant. Keep a diary of symptoms, when they occur, how they present, photos of rashes/skin changes, post-sun rashes, skin colour changes if the circulation is a problem. The conditions in the autoimmune family overlap. It takes time to find out which condition it is, or sometimes are. It can be a collection. My CRP results were crazy as were some of my FBC results and I had signs of kidney disease but was told I had Polymyalgia Rheumatica so they gave me steroids then couldn't understand why it didn't clear up. I. wasn't even in the usual age bracket for PMR. I did have Polymyalgia but as a symptom of Lupus. With your chest pains alone they should be considering ordering ECGs and more tests. You are definitely not overreacting. You need answers.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up