Should I get tested ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have two aunties on both sides of my family ( both from west of Ireland) that have Haemochromatosis. Am I more at risk and should get tested ?

Not sure what I even ask for ? Will a Uk GP know what this is ?

Il always tired and sore joints and muscles but tests to date say nothing wrong with me. Usually have low iron so figure I don’t have this , right ? 

Thanks in advance for any insights 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Does either of your parents have it or have they been tested? I would find out and get tested. My parents had no idea they had the negative gene. I have told my son he also now needs to be tested.
  • Posted

Hello if you go with your own exhaustion and discomfort concerns then slip in both aunties have GTH if he is worth any thing he will look. Failing that go on and say I would like you to arrange a full iron panel. It is a relatively cheap test and only you know if you need to be firm or gentle in the request. https://haemochromatosisuk.org/

I hope I linked it right for you is the only place to find everything you need to know. The consultant told me not to Google or look anywhere else it is where the latest info is. P.s. I have this and have been aenemic. If your panel is raised you need to insist on a DNA test. The symptoms mimic so many things it can take years to be diagnosed. Knowing your aunts mutations will help. Good luck.

• Posted

Tell your dr that your aunties have HH, and ask for an Iron Studies test.  Your ferritin level is important and your TS% is the marker in this test.

As Deb says, first degree relatives of your aunties should be tested too and being first degree, are entitled to a free genetic test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.