Should I get tested for hypothyroidism?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am 31 years old and I've been having health problems for the last 2 months. Fatigue, tightness in the chest, palpitations, pain in the sternum, spells of weakness. Got an ECG and Echo which was clear. Was then diagnosed with severe GERD (after an endoscopy) and very low (6) Vitamin D levels as well as low (120) B12 levels. I've been on meds for all three for about a month. Things have gotten a bit better but not much. I was wondering if I should get my thyroid levels tested as well? I have a family history of hypothyroidism (mother, aunt, cousins, grandmother). The last time I got it checked was about 3 years ago when my TSH was at 7.5. I haven't gained weight, and I am very active (yoga and weight lifting and martial arts), I also eat right, low carb, high protein, lots of fruit and green vegetables, a glass of wine a few days a week, On weekends 2-3. No coffee or tea. I used to smoke half a pack a day, have now cut it down to 2-3 a day. Do these symptoms sound familiar and should I get it checked out? Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello, May. Thanks for reaching out. Your symptoms certainly could be hypothyroidism, especially with the very high TSH and family history.  A full thyroid panel would be helpful. This will help you rule out other problems as well.

However, even once tested, diagnosis is often delayed due to lack of full testing and very broad test result ranges. Your TSH of 7.5 is enough to indicate a serious thyroid problem. If blood tests aren't enough, an ultrasound of the thyroid can be used to diagnose Hashimoto's based on the presence of thyroid cysts or nodules.

Honestly, I have so many obvious factors pointing to thyroid disease (including a large cyst on my thyroid, and huge family history) and it took 15 years to get a diagnosis even after the cyst was obvious. I've struggled with my weight my entire life even as elite athlete. 

Now, after 5 years, battling with doctors and medical systems, sickened by ineffective meds with side effects worse than this disease, I've come full circle and have gone back to trying more holistic ways to cure myself. I had become so sick from meds that I was bedridden for months. My bones are now extremely brittle (had a broken foot for over a year and a half still recovering, broke a tooth this week) and my immune system has been extremely damaged from the ineffective medications. So I basically have double the problem- the hypothyroid symptoms that persist even when the meds make the blood levels look perfect, and the side effects of enhanced hypothyroid symptoms, auto immune disease, bone loss caused by the meds. Ok, it's really like quadruple the problem.

Lastly, the meds are extremely difficult to regulate, so most people spend years trying to get the levels right and often never do. Likely because the meds are effected daily by diet, but take months to regulate through our detection methods of bloodwork. My point is that this system isn't very effective for thyroid disease treatment.

I encourage you to read through the many posts here to get a sense of what you're dealing with and how others have gotten relief using diet and nutrition, as well as lifestyle changes. There are so many things you can do to help thyroid health.

People here have been through it all and are willing to share their experiences of what works. Please ask many questions! Good luck!

• Posted

Quit smoking.

Take vitamin D and calcium for bone health. And take folic acid to facilitate absorption of B12.

Because of your familiar history, yes, have another thyroid panel.

• Posted

Some people are unable to metabolize certain forms of B vitamins, particularly B6 and B12. Coblimated firms and B12 injections are more effective.
    • Posted

i am on 70k vitamin D pills at the moment and also vitamin B12 pills and folic acid daily. Trying desperately to quit smoking as well. Do I need calcium along with Vit D? 

And thank you yes I will have another panel

• Posted

yes, the vitamin D facilitates the absorption of calcium which our bodies need to strengthen our bones.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.