Should I get the endoscopy (due tomorrow!!)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I'm due to get an endoscopy and colonoscopy tomorrow afternoon. I'm not sure if I should get them. I've been eating gluten for 7.5 weeks but to my surprise I actually feel fine eating gluten (a couple of years ago I was really sick and gluten seem to make it worse so I cut it out of my diet). I've had some blood test for coeliac but they won't come back till end of this week. Both procedures seem a bit horrible and with risks so I am unsure whether it is worth it. But then I was really sick 1.5 years ago. The colonoscopy is to rule out inflammatory bowel disease. But again it's taken so long to get through the system and get to this point. And now I don't feel too bad now. I'm kind of thinking don't try to fix something that's not broken. Any thoughts??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Of course you should have the procedures done. It's always better to know what's causing you to be ill and i assume you have started taking the medication you need to drink before your colonoscopy so go for it. its not as bad as you think and once its done you'll have an answer.

Please don't worry everything will be fine.

Good luck tomorrow.

• Posted

hi jules, poor you don't i remember having these done, not together i have to say! i hope you get the answer you're after as long as you're sickness is not due to a bug you should be fine. even with small amounts of gluten in my system i still had a positive test come back. which are you having 1st? the colonoscopy you have up and it makes your bowels really work before hand but tells you if you back passage is ok, the other one goes down the throat and doesn't take too long but do it with the anaesthetic it makes it easier. you need to know what's what, i agree it's scary but make sure you have someone with you who can't look after you afterwards. if the bread is making you sick then your doctor needs to know and so do you. really good luck.

• Posted

are you waiting at the hospital, if so wish you luck. 🤞

• Posted

how did you get on?

• Posted

Hi Sam thanks for checking. (I posted a response to what happened but that was on my post in the Crohn's section).

I didn't get it done in the end. The surgeon actually advised against it because I was so nervous and I wasn't keen. She checked my blood test results for coeliac, which had only literally just come through and they were negative. (i know they are not 100 percent but I had consumed quite a lot of gluten in the 7 weeks leading up to the test).

Still feeling v.sheepish and wish I had done the procedures. I had a lot of misinformation (my dad had similar tests in the 80s and advised me not to get them done as I wasnt that symptomatic recently, only later when it was too late did I do some research and find out the tests have changed since then and are not so bad).

I do appreciate all your advice support and I may well have to get these test in the future if I have another flare up so it was helpful and I will feel better next time having heard from all of you.. The doctor did explain that the coeliac blood test was only 90 percent right, and I was very unwell before I gave up gluten initially. Although its most likely if anything I have some sort of inflammatory bowel problem and am intolerant to gluten...as apparently you don't get internal abscesses from coeliac.

Anyway my stool calprotectin levels haven't been checked for over a year, and it all felt a bit rushed (possibly stool and blood tests should be done before). So they are now running stool tests! I also released how anxious I can be about medical procedures so in the future if I need these done I will get someone to come with me at the start. I feel much more informed now after hearing about others experiences, wish I had come on this site earlier and not listened to my scaremongering parents! I had even taken all the laxatives, which apparently is the worst bit 😦 . Anyway we live and learn...thanks anyway for the support and checking up!

• Posted

hi jules, why did you listen to anyone else? it's your health not theirs! my doctor insisted i didn't have a camera, but couldn't rule coeliac disease in or out! i made the hospital do it, but because i struggle with my swallowing reflex/gag reflex they did under deep sedation. i won't see the same doctor any more! i am definitely coeliac and also allergic to lots of other things, i am in the process of sueing my old doctor's who dix nothing for years. i have been rendered infertile because of this i have a huge in my void in my life that won't heal. you put you 1st and if you feel you need this again insist on DEEP sedation, it's easy and you forget very quickly afterwards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.