Should I get the hardware out of my ankle?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am eight months postop after ankle fusion.  I still have significant  pain.  I have to  pain pills.  My question is this -  should I get the hardware out in April?   Will it Help with reducing the pain?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Darc

where is it that you still have pain? I've just had my hardware removed after an ankle fusion a year ago. I was still having some pain on the outside of my ankle at the bottom of the bone and it looked from the X-rays/CT scan that the screws may be protruding slightly and irritating the soft tissue.  I had the screws removed 3 weeks ago and it's still to early to tell whether it's helped - they say it will take up to 6 weeks to know as I've now got swelling /bruising again in my ankle after the removal op (and numbness around the scar/incision site).  Whether it will help you with reducing your pain depends on how the hardware looks on your X-rays I guess. However the doc told me that if I didn't have the screws removed I would never know whether they were what was causing the pain, so I went with it and had them removed.  Fingers crossed it works.  

• Posted

The pain is on the on the top of my foot and the outer side and bottom!   I asked the doctor if I should have the hardware out and  he said sure just give me a call I’ll take  it outstanding the end of April. .  I asked how long will I have to be off my foot and he said only two weeks  My hardware isn’t  out of place but I feel that if I don’t remove it that I may be missing an opportunity to lessen  this persistent  pain.  I didn’t know I was going to have bruising and swelling afterwards like you said you have.  I wish I had never had  the surgery.  😔 Oh well-  I have to count my blessings and keep persevering!! 

• Posted

I’m in a similar position too, had my left ankle fusion in May last year and I’m still struggling with pain.

The screws are now visibily starting to show under my skin and the consultant is thinking they may break the skin soon. I have a lot of pain where the screw heads are and also deep inside my ankle too.

If it wasn’t for a recent chest infection he would have had m in this week to take them out. Got to wait until March now though, so hobbling through as best as I can! 

Claire. Xx

• Posted

I’m in the same boat. I’m beginning to think the success tprate is lower than what I was led to believe. I have pain in the same place you do Darc. I really think the surgeon didn’t align my ankle properly as it feels like my ankle is off. When I step down, all the pain & pressure goes into that ankle. I’m much worse off than before my surgery. So frustrating. I just want my life back. 

• Posted

I’m the same too Barb, I just had a blumming good cry and even though I’m not an advocate of alcohol I’m having a rather large glass of wine! 
    • Posted

That sounds like the thing to do right about now. I wish that glass of wine would cure our ankle problems. 
  • Posted

I just had my ankle surgery this last Friday and am worried that this may become a future problem. I still have a ways to go with my healing (still in the early stages) but I can literally feel where my hardware is (on both the inside/outside) of my ankle. Sometimes it feels as though it's getting caught up in my temporary cast (it's a weird feeling) anyways, I'm just trying to get used to the new feelings and hope the pain eventually goes away, never to return. This is my very first surgery at the age of 38, and I can compare the Initial Pain to Labor Pain (I have 5 kids). Also, Yes! I, too have enjoyed the Temporary Relaxation of White Zinfandel myself :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.