Should i get varicocele embolisation?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 20 y/o, and had some low t symptoms... got checked out was at the bottom of normal range - did examination found i had varicocele. Was told it wouldnt have impact on testosterone... Saw urologist today and was told it was about a grade 3 (but was looking smaller that usual)

Are the risks outweighed by the advantaged of me having this done? I have a slight ache at times - most prominent during ejaculation, and after research have seen some people respond by having higher testosterone.

Any opinions on whether i should have this done?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Also, would people recommend surgery instead of this option for my situation???
  • Posted

I had a bilateral varicocele surgery because I have poor sperm health and having a hard time getting pregnant. I haven't redone my T test - but I was in the normal range already. It's been 6 months since the surgery. Still not pregnant, but my sperm count has increased. I know you're young and probably not thinking about having kids, but if you are having pain, you might want to get it.... and it (if it's impacting your sperm) it might save you the headache later in life when you're ready for a family. 

In terms of pain, I was in a lot of pain after the surgery for a few days. The doctor said I could have sex 10 days after, but I absolutely could not. I also have a hematoma (pocket of blood) near the base of my penis for 4 months after the surgery that caused some pain, but eventually went away. 

The one thing I regret about having the surgery is that I never got a second opinion or heard any other options. I just did what my first urologist told me to do. My sperm count has increased - but that could be because of the estrogen blocker he put me on (which also increases T)... I don't know... Just wish I had gotten a second opinion so I could be sure I didn't get an unnecessary surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.